Bore guide??

J270

I have a few rifles that I clean more than I shoot. I have a 99 and a 94 witch I only know to clean from the muzzle. Is that causing damage?
I ave bolt guns also that I don't use a guide on.
Am I damaging my girls?? Please help with my ignorance.:eek:

Goatwhiskers

The barrel of a click type ball point pen makes an excellent bore guide. Cut back the small end enough for the cleaning rod to slide thru, put it on your rod and hold the small end against the muzzle while moving the rod. Did I mention that it's free? GW

math teacher

Back before we had all these wonderful toys, we used a leather shoelace with a lengthwise slit to hold the patch on our 99s. Just pulled the patch through. Love that last suggestion.

nemesiss45

I use a possom hollow bore guide and clean from the breech. Also, I strongly reccomend a 1 piece carbon fiber cleaning rod. I bough one after years of using steel and brass, and ill never go back.

mete

6.5 mmbores are becoming popular these days [finally] .I found a 22 mag case works fine when you've drilled out the head , leaving the rim. Other rimmed cases may work for other bores.

tobnpr

Not too likely you'll damage the throat when cleaning from the breech without a guide as long as you're carefully inserting it, and not just slamming it home.

I use bore guides as that extra layer of protection, they make it easier to insert the rod because it obviously self-centers it, and they have the added benefit of the "o"-ring keeping the solvents in the bore where they belong.

hooligan1

Tipton sells a kit that includes boreguides and an action guide(for bolt actions)that works decent and protects crown which is important fo lever action owners....Also their carbon fiber cleaning rods are quality enough to trust with your vintage type rifles..