Bore Butter

101combatvet

After reading some postings on another forum and the BB label I'm thinking if a light coat of BB is applied in the cylinder chambers and of course the barrel cleaning should be easier. Even a light coat of BB on all exposed metal parts might be the way to prevent prolonged cleaning. Am I correct in assuming this?

Pahoo

All in it's place !!

Even a light coat of BB on all exposed metal parts might be the way to prevent prolonged cleaning.
As they say, there is a time and place for everything and that hold true for BB. Can you further explain "prolonged cleaning"? I routinely use BB where there is going to be fire, like in a bore or cylinder chambers. It will help in cleaning and keeping fouling loose. I don't use it on ourside furfaces but some do. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

101combatvet

I was thinking that the areas (especially) around the inside of the frame where the cylinder rotates might clean up faster if a very liberal coating were applied. Maybe, on the outside of the cylinder itself. Cleaning the frame with a streaming hot rag should prevent disassembly of the frame. Just some thoughts... after seeing a pistol with piting around the outside of the cylinder and lower frame. I'm sure the owner that did this didn't do much of any cleaning but it got me to think about extending the the use of BB just in case. No?

Pahoo

Go for it !!!

I think I understand better now and the application BB will assist in your cleaning but not take the lead. As I said, it keeps fouling and deposits loose. I mostly depend on Ballistol in the field, for general cleaning. Then use other solvents back in my shop. .... ;)

Hey, try it on your applications and see how it works out for you. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Bishop Creek

I use Bore Butter on the cylinder pin and run a cloth with some on it down the bore before firing my 1858 Remington and it really seems to help not only with less binding of the cylinder while shooting, but the bore stays cleaner too. Also seems to make clean up easier. I also putter a little BB on the internals after cleaning.

Hawg

I use BB for the bore and chambers after cleaning and for lubing the arbor during use. I have used it for over ball lube but it gets too runny in summer heat.

bushmaster65

BB for arbor only here...

rarely use it in the chambers anymore. Did a hot water cleaning for the first time this weekend then after compressed air dry, bathed all three in Ballistol.

Pahoo

Okay !!!

Pahoo - do you use the Ballistol in lieu of a hot soapy water wash?
You are asking me a loaded question but since you asked, I will only say that my M/L's have never see water as long as I have owned them and never will. .. :D

At the end of my range-time, I do a flush and brush with Ballistol. When I get home to my shop, my primary solvent, is Mineral Spirits. If it's been a long day, I soak in mineral spirits for a day or two or when I can get to them. .. :)

Be Safe !!!

BirchOrr

BB has it's place...

I use it it one application only. I use a pre-saturated BB ball patch when loading a traditional BP long gun. T/C sells them (item # 7003). Or, you can simply make your own with your favorite patch. It does indeed make an excellent ball/patch lube.

I agree with Hawg in that it does get runny in high heat conditions, also almost too hard to work with when it's really cold. It is a non-petroleum product which is good. In my personal experience with BP, non-petroleum products are more friendly with BP. I personally would not use it as a long term anti-rust preventative.

IMHO Ballisol is much better for crappy weather and for long term storage. It also is not a petroleum product. It emulsifies with water. (It mixes with, rather than separates). I keep a can in my truck, barn and with my guns. I also keep it with me in the brush in an empty Visiene bottle. Ya don't need much. Works awesome on metal, wood, leather, fishing gear, rifle bolts, semi-auto rifle and shotgun actions. I also use it on padlocks to keep them from freezing.

Just my .02 as usual and all the best,

Birch

Shotput79

After cleaning my pistols I use bore butter in the bbl & cyclinders chambers. Never had a problem with rust. Use it in my bp rifle bbls also. I started useing ballistol a few yrs ago to wipe all the outside of the pistols and rifles down to. Ballistol is good stuff bore butter is good stuff if you use it where it needs to be. I been useing bore butter for over 30 yrs and my gun bbls and pistol cylinders are as new looking as the day I bought them. The ballistol I only found out about it a few yrs ago but from what I can tell it works and a bottle go's a long way.:cool:

Roshi

BB

I've successfully used BB and/or Wonder Lube in chambers, bore, and cylinder pin. However, recent experiments tell me TW25B on the cylinder pin is more effective.

Doc Hoy

Two different things for two different purposes

that accomplish the things the OP mentioned...

I clean fastidiously after each outing. Then I douche the revolver down good with rem oil. I wipe the pisttol down often during the day of shooting. I use bore lube which I make up for the arbor. Keep in mind that I do not do CAS and so speed is no part of my decision.

I also smear bore lube over the bullets as a gas seal and lubricant.

I have three different recipes and I haven't decided about the apps.

Half and half Crisco and toilet wax rings. This lube is rather thinand in the summer needs to be adjusted with more wax ring.

Half and Half mutton tallow and beeswax. This is much thicker and works well for BP cartridges.

1 to 2 Lard to Beeswax. Again this is a good lube for cartridges.

These latter two are quite stiff for use as an over the bullet lube. But they should work right for wads.

As far as lubes are concerned my development knowledge is in its infancy. Others here are far samarter than me.

But I hate Thompson's Bore Butter

BirchOrr

Uh-huh

I'd rather have a sister in a whore house than use Bore Butter

Seems I'm chopped liver here Doc, so you're going to be the one that someone might listen to. :D

Never had a problem with rust

This is because you live in N. Carolina. Try using it in Michigan. You might think differently. Take it to Alaska or WAY down south where Hawg lives and tell me how it works.

All the best gentleman,

Birch

Hawg

This is because you live in N. Carolina. Try using it in Michigan. You might think differently. Take it to Alaska or WAY down south where Hawg lives and tell me how it works.

Actually I don't have a problem with rust.