Book cabinet killed by XD 45. Who is at fault?

TheNatureBoy

Three weeks ago a friend of mine jacked a 230 grain hollow point (Winchester) into my XD-45 and proceeded to kill his wifes book cabinet. I was sitting on the side of the room where the cabient was, approximately 5 ft. away. Scared the living you know what out of both of us. His first response was to ask me why I didn't tell him that the gun was hot. I told him that it wasn't until he jacked a round into the chamber.

I'm sure I'm not the only one but I always keep the clip full and the chamber empty. Always! Anytime I touch one of my burners I pop the clip and clear the chamber. I did this before I went to visit him. I mentioned this to a couple of guys at work and they thought it was my fault. What say you?

P.S. Since the edit function is available I might as well use it. I'm amused at your responses to my use of the words "jacked", "burner", and "pop". Amused because I have read worse on this website from many of you. I won't single anyone out. Just read the following posts for yourselves. I do agree with everyone who said that I was responsible. The only thing I did not do was remove the clip before handing him my burner :) I won't get into what he should have done. I appreciate the responses.

Last edited:

Wildalaska

Fault?...him for being an untrained idiot and you for giving him the gun and you for giving him the gun in the first place and letting him play with it.

Anytime I touch one of my burners I pop the clip

It's a magazine. And whats a "burner"...:cool:

WildanotherexampleofwhytraininginsafegunhandlingshouldbemandatoryAlaska ™

Desert01

I would have to say that you are.

Rule of safe gun handling when handing a auto over:

Drop magazine
Lock slide to rear
Inspect chamber visualy and physicaly
Hand over

He should also check the chamber to insure it is empty and that there is no magazine in the pistol before he does anything else.

You friend is at fault a little becuase he didn't slap you up side the head for handing him a pistol with out clearing it.:eek:

Bottom line, you are lucky it was only a book case.

LFOD1776

Etiquette dictates that you pass a semi-auto handgun to someone with the magazine removed and the slide locked back. It's like passing a knife by the handle.

Common sense dictates that you assume a weapon is loaded unless you've cleared it.

So you're both at fault. Fortunately, bookcases can be replaced.

rellascout

I would have to say it is your fault. Handing someone a gun with a full clip, even with and empty chamber is negligent IHMO.

As others have pointed out no mag action open is the way to give another person a pistol.

You made a mistake. Learn from it and be thankful you did not harm anyone.

xrocket

Not to pile on, but in the first place you are responsible. In the second place he is responsible. I appreciate your candor, but frankly, your both in need of some education.

Fortunately, you both survived and now your an educated genius ... right!

Wildalaska

The language used here does not exactly inspire faith in a responsible owner of firearms.

But hes allowed to have one, until the ND pops through the wall and kills a newborn in the apartment next door.

With freedom comes responsibility. Rights cannot be viewd in a vacuum. Yadda yadda yadda..

WildithinkheshadenoughAlaska ™

pesta2

Anytime I touch one of my burners I pop the clip and clear the chamber.

the gun was hot. I told him that it wasn't until he jacked a round into the chamber

Steph is a Linguist and here is the translation:

Anytime I handle one of my firarms, I remove the magazine and clear the Chamber.

the gun was loaded. I told him it was not loaded until he pulled back the slide and chambered a round.

markj

You handed a loaded weapon to a guy and it went off? Hmmm must be a faulty gun....

Years ago I was fishing, a guy pulled up in a van, took a mini 14 out and started shooting at cans a short distance away. He couldnt hit anything, I moved over and asked him if he used the sights, he handed me the mini, loaded, on safety. I looked at him and asked him if he liked my new gun :) then shot 3 or 4 cans with it. Unloaded it, put safety on and handed it back to him, he was all white and scared looking. Got in his van and drove off.

Young dont have to be dumb.......

Hornett

I'm surprised no one has mentioned rule #1.

1. Keep your finger off the trigger.

Just follow this rule and it will keep any of your homeys from bustin' a cap into your bookcase ever again. :p

HisSoldier

Interesting story. Why didn't the guy notice he was loading a round, didn't he look? When I pull the slide back I always look to see if anything is below about to come up, and assumed everyone else did too. The story also seems to be a good point for carrying cocked and locked, in that condition one wouldn't hand it to anyone else without unloading it as it's obviously loaded. But then, they are always loaded anyway, right? Right???

I have to say that I disagree with all of the posters to a certain extent. I think it's HIS fault primarily.

1. Rule #1- Don't TREAT the firearm as if it's loaded. THE FIREARM IS ALWAYS LOADED. Your buddy should have checked the gun himself regardless of what you said. Go to the forum's library for the 4 basic rules and your friend broke every one of them on his own.

2. Your finger wasn't didn't pull the trigger. HIS did. You didn't "put a gun to his head" and threatened to pull the trigger, did you?

The way I see it is that you are at partial blame due to it being your gun and you didn't hand the gun without the magazine in place. In my observation of your limited explaination, he's at fault. However, you are not innocent of wrongdoing...