Bone Grips

Skans

Since ivory grips are hard to find for under $300 now, if you can find them, I've been looking at different bone grips for some of my pistols.

I notice that Buffalo bone grips can run between $30-$60 give or take. But, Giraffe bone seems to start around $130 on up. I like a smooth texture over gigged bone or stag, thus why I seem to be going back and forth on Giraffe bone and Buffalo bone. Can anyone tell me why Giraffe bone grips are 3-4 times as expensive as Buffalo bone?

T. O'Heir

Nobody farms giraffes.
A great deal depends on what buffalo they're made from. For $30-$60 it'll be water buffalo. What handgun they're for matters too.

mk70ss

I have some water buffalo bone grips with mother of pearl skull inlays on my Kimber 1911. They are awesome. Best of all, got'em on EBay for $24.

WC145

Elephant ivory grips aren't all that difficult to find, there are a number of reputable dealers out there and they're readily available on gunbroker as well, and prices have been in the $300+ range for a long while. Currently the bigger issue with buying ivory grips are the new laws regulating importation and shipping across state lines. This has resulted in an increase in popularity of mammoth ivory grips, which aren't subject to the same regulations, however, there is, of course, a limited supply of raw material out there. These supply issues and the impact on the cost of ivory products have resulted in an increasingly wide variety of natural materials from different animals finding their way to the handgun grip market - water buffalo bone and horn, camel bone, bison bone, ram horn, giraffe bone, moose antler, caribou antler - and I'm sure there are others I haven't seen yet. Prices are directly related to the scarcity of the raw material as well as the country where the grips are being produced.

I have a couple of sets of very nice elephant ivory grips I bought last spring before the new laws took effect. I also have mammoth ivory, camel bone, buffalo bone, stag, and Tru-Ivory bonded ivory. They all look and feel good, though all of the buffalo bone and stag grips I've had are thicker than standard.

Something you might consider is holly wood, it's a white wood and when cut into grips it looks and feels very much like ivory, also very reasonably priced. A couple of coats of Tru-oil and it gets a look similar to aged ivory. I can't afford to put ivory on all of the guns I'd like to and holly is a cost effective way to get a similar look and feel.
JXGcD33tFB5ri0bFm59A1CsfcjjooZhsJmgqWKjuOvnkNMgnFHpIvlxGSqUOk6IjYOLrNAPIzFNCYUAHzONVy8_YF2GbhBu9GOyjlUmYL-QYbGhLRk11_n9NxAfUoeccSPCxqh__EE2nFrcW5YYSyniSojh3lJz_tsWhhcS8otD3pGLCqGJI4qryTy_LjOqv5OYtaRbA5z1xdDCbkhJT6Wsh97iP4aw8dqjO1VFrcdFuzD0GqZklw_A-uVcdwI-fJE9dCxKnRfkD-XpqbtlgbxnC_zOmrrVT__Xeh4lDQ3KoeT2s6TD5jIMlOX6YBW41d4X40-MrpQsHiWSIN7hfoLexAJURdMfYNhPc8mSa1p81Xhe3rHTcx4xU5maQpxxuYhXEL_hR-a1krOaKvgkGC7mbZbDlg0mG7GchLmSXfS24GtcvjRuCmI90czOlNFb_lND5U57DBoWTja0wTvlST2WFRR1tuvAtWrZ-B1HMEkjSlSpw4trH3y61_ffroCXa66fXbzrHyhvRZQ3EdWrrG-1QPKre968AsWiej75cgLBvbiQku0kR7-AOSPj_jX6QcybhmMTbOh2UTWzNdBPl8s6UNETtwGlMHehg3ODDvTBrBScRLfyL6Q=w962-h651-no

Skans

That Holly Wood really does look like ivory - very nice looking. I have seen some Giraffe Bone which really looks a lot like ivory, but it's quite expensive. Lately I've been seeing Buffalo horn which looks like ivory and is about 1/3rd the price of Giraffe Bone.

WC145

That Holly Wood really does look like ivory - very nice looking. I have seen some Giraffe Bone which really looks a lot like ivory, but it's quite expensive. Lately I've been seeing Buffalo horn which looks like ivory and is about 1/3rd the price of Giraffe Bone.
These are Bison bone, they look and feel nice, take scrimshaw well. They're pretty white but have a bit of grain, like any bone they should yellow with age and use and the grain should become more noticeable. I think I paid around $60 for these on ebay.

7hi02Y1HrojNjKJbvR0C0Lszlp0cnMsIM2n1i8JB7IG5MHVebeIkXT3JZmqc2Oga8affUCGhZQqK9h2OaKiqlIEWJvXUVCgeQCHBwBQeDnCS_np6cPCRhz3m1B7Bv_MboLG0D0rz9oNjDqMGiEjQ2sT7A9l_1oH3iQq94h0mbQGhdTgSQTY0Mg0f9bXHJdqwdZg7J03hzR9UkqUd7st1Z1yM_ilOJxZIv7ju9Dp1JBufHDh16EznFaONxPNGq3SDar2WZGZlQCA7qP0z2PGpA0HyyBCyLtBNTgvQh92Ka5BNYTUqMl8ksVoqwBGlFXxIchy7TPq4Ff4WQwcNSdxTcF5KRnVvL3unIS-iCpVo4DsFqtqguleTsMruRNclyBeRoHalElHiBkYYhHhjNWk0galDEIgOcsme-BrUdbv9zz86g1b9KCOZg53HpHe24A4pidK_GlVsqIDMQb-bu3pGmcAhQ-R2jRbpnGPjHIqAa9TBd2bZfa7trZt_39NWjuuJuKWysoRP3blR2_JOVW3AolrHQEi6gBtBvaTildvNSpz4tzo1_kyEp6-YuWSWOuAEHH-kChLrGXNLKlxeBL3L7P-LkuWtfy2lZUCjU2H3W3NRPiW49XFYjg=w1280-h708-no

These are hand carved Giraffe bone, one of my favorite sets of grips. Obviously the hand carving adds to the price but Giraffe is reasonable compared to ivory and still rarish. I like the look of Giraffe because the grain is bold, not subtle like ivory, it goes better with some guns. Some people are dying Giraffe bone colors, I don't know why, I prefer natural.

msVCU78r--2tlY-Kf5x2XAXKHYgqMa7mWsNEFvuw0Dg9dA7lDwoKnIZiixfSO9nvJtfRd9c0MbWvWlISeZXFvnTxT7b7BsBwvrs5eqQD1oB846tdXU-VH8knaQCEyf6LTyAxj7rvfctQc6x-GO7IGthcLmiWBveuRlpeGrt-2qf35Ejofelcex0ws2MbdAFdCQFvRYdQkgKChpbbAkfgFhjW5aJUYI5JQqVsXSO8IrXhPg1H4HYiQVDS4WCYtBQQ-270Oq-m1MujE_FtvQo8bhjuotXRz9EPMrqogTvuR9CCS8ajX4nBV5NuhhmBlKPbIw71t7Y1CuVUG1_ao0XTWIM1TJSQTtMQG0gtg83fMDFb_s2mCW0RqLd2slKw7Fh-zKu3sm93mCzo_tltxC-j12BBYzzAujr94CzeW1nmn6zxCwjWGC-ADeI3yvs6sUk3zlaS_F1gD8gbuK7aWOsEdcOm5RLRUBYwr6j5AATLZbJE7azVuxWmcTS9fT6B0uXgGO0YbaywPyu4QXOEhZpdmRvEsmDQIzuvBCMVqg4kJUk-wxbpOAxgOoP4-Msf60Ov0GbpocR0aFMxgWzFpHCsA7FW8XNe2-GH2_kpTO_q8CLAkhfNAHYNwAeIfu8esxi2aWnLT-UM2YxTHooKC8lpj6Vovj1-dOAqtT_cyhX5Lss=w1280-h833-no

Last edited:

Minorcan

I have some buffalo bone and horn grips on a couple of my 1911s. I like them a lot. They are not cold to the touch and have enough texture to grip sell.Sweat is not an issue. The Horn grips are a little smother and one pair is highly polished. Mine are in the double diamond Colt pattern.