Bond Arms Derringers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kst8fan

Has anyone shot/owned one of these guns? While they look cool, how do they shoot? They look like they are built like tanks. Just needing sum info

Dfariswheel

They're finely made of stainless steel.
Quality is high.

Problem is, derringers are clumsy guns to handle and tough to shoot accurately.
These days you can buy a micro 9mm or .40 automatic that's both smaller and lighter than a derringer, easier to shoot accurately, has a larger magazine capacity, and has far better grips and sights.
Many of the small S&W 5 shot revolvers are smaller and lighter than the Bond.

The Bond is the best of the derringers, but it's very heavy and larger than the micro autos or the small revolvers.
Like all derringers, the Bond is clumsy to cock and it's very easy to fumble cocking it or even to actually drop it under any stress.

Bottom line, the derringer has been overtaken by better designs, really doesn't have much to offer, and has some serious shortcomings.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Agree.
We have two here, they're not pocket pistols & they are very high quality, but still slow to use for anything much beyond snakes or plinking.
Denis

Crosshair

I have my Bond and with Federal .410 buckshot it will keep all the pellets on a pizza box at 5 paces. The recoil is quite manageable.

Problem is, derringers are clumsy guns to handle and tough to shoot accurately.
I disagree, they are easy to shoot accurately. Shove it in the gut of your assailant and pull the trigger.

These days you can buy a micro 9mm or .40 automatic that's both smaller and lighter than a derringer, easier to shoot accurately, has a larger magazine capacity, and has far better grips and sights.
Um, examples of such a 9mm and 40 pistol? Lighter yes, smaller, not that I can see in significant amounts. A Texas Defender is shorter than a Ruger LCP 380 auto or a Kel-Tec 9mm.

As for grips and sights I've shot both of the auto pistols I mentioned above and I don't see how someone can say that they have better sights and grips with a straight face. They effectively have no sights at all and the grips are no better or worse than those on my Bond or BTJ. With any of them you aren't gonna be hitting anything beyond 5 paces. Given their intended use that is not a big detriment.

Many of the small S&W 5 shot revolvers are smaller and lighter than the Bond.
Lighter, but they are not smaller. What kills the revolvers is the width of the cylinder. When they print, everyone knows it is a gun. Tried with with my Taurus 94. The derringers are much less obvious, making them much easier to conceal.

The Bond is the best of the derringers, but it's very heavy and larger than the micro autos or the small revolvers.
The heavy part I understand, but where are you getting the "larger" from? I could see some of the autos being narrower than the Bond, but most are longer, Texas Defender is 5" and the Ruger and Kel Tec are bothy longer and height seems to depend on your example. Please list examples if I am incorrect.

Like all derringers, the Bond is clumsy to cock and it's very easy to fumble cocking it or even to actually drop it under any stress.
Being clumsy to cock is a matter of practice and opinion. They way I have mine setup, the cocking is part of the draw. Not that the small auto's are fumble proof either given their small size and small grips.

Bottom line, the derringer has been overtaken by better designs, really doesn't have much to offer, and has some serious shortcomings.
The fact is that small guns suck. From a Bond to a Ruger to a Kel-Tec they are all garbage. You can't get a good grip, they are hard to operate, hard to shoot with any accuracy. The only reason anyone bothers with them at all is because they can't wear the clothing that would allow a larger gun. (My personal choice would be a trench coat and my Mini-14 folder.:rolleyes:) The only differences between them is in what ways they suck more or less than others. Derringers tend to be heavier, tend to have single action firing mechanisms, hold 2 shots, and are slow to reload. On the other hand they are compact, do not print badly, you don't have to worry about pushing the gun out of battery in close encounters, and can fire cartridges that autos or revolvers couldn't dream of.

So in the end we're arguing over which Polio victim has the best chance of winning the Boston Marathon. Nothing wrong with it, but in the end none of the choices is a "good" choice.

youngunz4life

this is what I was going to post when they're weren't any replies yet

was gonna be first reply earlier but had to go...from what I have heard(and I'm not an expert), the bond arms are some of the best quality derringers.

that being said, sometimes there can be too much put into a small punch weapon in my opinion(basically I am saying having a derringer to me meant giving up some of the things that the newer, enhanced derringer versions offer). I have a 38 derringer and I like derringers. I was originally going to get a bigger, better quality one that shot a 357. I am glad I decided on the 38. I shoot the old FBI loads 38+p and it is a true mouse gun. It serves its purpose in close quarters. even with a snubby(not the derringer), many people just don't realize how easy it is to start shooting and missing their target. Some think if you draw and fire its a done deal - very far from the truth. That doesn't mean derringers can't get the job done. They're belly guns, but I'd feel comfortable even if it wasn't a belly shot. No matter the situation or result, I would immediately cock the 2nd shot. It really isn't difficult.

mitchntx

Did a search and found this thread. Thought I would reply instead of making a new one.

I shot my first Bond Arms Derringer a few days ago. Shot it in 22Mag, changed barrells and then 45 LC.

The gun is heavier than I expected, but not a boat anchor. It's manageable and easily handled.

The grip looks bulbous, but fits a hand quite nicely.

The hammer is much easier to pull back, both in tension and ergonomics, than my GP100. Trigger pull is rather long, but tension is consistant. The trigger falls a little low for my taste, but its nothing that keeps me from making it go bang.

Recoil was amazing light, no more than an XDm9. And it was surprisingly accurate. with 22M, I could hit center mass at 7 yards no problem.

I would certainly like to shoot it with a 410 shell and see what that was like.

It was a beautifully crafted piece of art and not obscenely priced. I would certainly like to add one to my meager collection.

Alas ... so many guns ... so little budget....

C0untZer0

Bond Century 2000
Caliber:9mm (also 40S&W,10mm and .45 ACP)
Barrel: 3.5in
Length: 5.5in
Weight: 21 oz.
Capacity:2

attachment.php

Rohrbaugh R9
Caliber:9mm
Barrel:2.9in
Length:5.2in
Height:3.7in
Weight:13.5oz
Capacity:6+1 Rounds

attachment.php

In this case you actually have a semi-auto that is about 1/4" shorter and 7.5 oz lighter than a "derringer" and it holds 5 more rounds of ammo.

This is why it's hard for me to buy a derringer even though I think they're neat.

IrvJr

I have a Bond Arms Texas Defender with a set of 3" .44 special barrels. I really like it.

I sometimes pocket carry it when hiking/camping.

it's really well made, reasonably accurate, and very durable. Here is a photo of a target with my first 8 shots ever from the gun (shot at around 10 feet). The bottom barrel shot the lower group while the top barrel shot the upper group.

smder2.JPG

I've also shot the gun at 10 or 11 yards and could keep my shots on the paper, but accuracy at longer ranges requires more effort due to the short sight radius and the heavier trigger pull.

Some people complain about the trigger pull being too heavy, but it's not. You have to get used to it. Instead of pulling it straight back, you either push near the bottom of the trigger (to get more leverage) or push down and back with the trigger.

I really like my derringer. it's compact, potent, and reasonably accurate for such a tiny gun. Also, it's not overly heavy and it can be pocket carried, provided you wear a belt.

I started to carry the little gun after I saw a really large black bear when out scouting for places to hunt. I've seen a few bears here in Southern NH, and was never concerned because they've all been pretty small and they were all running away as fast as they could from me. However, this one surprised me because it was really big. I didn't think the bears got that big around here but I was wrong.

smder1.JPG

sgms

I have fired a buddies Bond in .45 and it was a fun gun to shoot, seemed well made as well, recoil not bad. But for a carry gun I don't know. As COuntzerO listed the Bond 2000 at 5.5" long and I'm guessing from the picture near 4 inches tall I'll stay with my Kel-Tec P11. It's 5.5" long by 4.3" tall and will take 12 round magazines of 9 m/m rather than just 2 rounds from the Bond. [I know it's all about round placement not mag. capacity, but I never met anybody that complained about having to much ammunition left over after a gun fight.]

arch308

I bought one a few years ago in 45 Colt and found it to be a quality product. Only drawback was the trigger. I never could get used to it and never learned to shoot the thing well past 10 ft. I ended up trading it for a S&W .357. Truth be told, I never missed it.

Old John

I had a Bond .45 Colt Texas Defender that I carried off & on for 5 or 6 years. I sold it to my 2nd Son after he got a Taurus Judge. 'Cause he really wanted it. He carries the Bond T Defender sometimes. It's a nice heavy gun. I liked it, too, for a while.

At 21oz. it is 4 oz. heavier than my 5 shot .357 mag. Ruger LCR and about 8 oz. heavier than my .38 special LCR. I can get of 5 well aimed Double Action, . 38 or .357 shots with either of my LCR's quicker than most folks can get off 2 with a Bond Arms Derringer. And I can reload the LCR quicker.

But, if you like them...Keep them & shoot them. We all like what we like.

JohnKSa

Administrator
My wife has one because she really liked the way they looked and really wanted one. Always a good enough reason to buy a gun! :D We shot it with a .22LR barrel awhile back and while it was definitely good enough to get bullets on paper, it wasn't what I would call accurate.

There was a point of impact shift between the two barrels and neither barrel shot particularly close to point of aim even at 10 feet or so. Combine that with the fact that there's no good way to adust the sights and you have a gun that's fun to look at and fun to shoot (if accuracy isn't a major concern). That said, it's more of a toy (if you want to hit something with it at any significant range) than it is a functional firearm past a few feet.

The gun is very well made and really solid and can be had in calibers that provide serious punch. Obviously capacity is very limited; that and the SA action means it isn't really the best choice for a close-in self-defense firearm in my opinion. So it's a gun that isn't accurate enough for anything but very close ranges but that isn't a great choice for very close ranges because it's slow to use and low capacity.

I really like the gun and I have this strange desire for it to be more functional than it is, but unfortunately there's no way I could justify using it to replace my current carry pistol--a DAO, 8 shot 9mm that weighs less, is simpler to use, faster to reload, more easily concealed, and that can group 7 shots into 3 1/8" at 25 yards if need be. (I bought my carry gun used for about $70 more than I paid for my wife's Bond Arms Derringer, new.)

If I lived in the country and wanted to carry something compact around exclusively for snakes, their .410 model would be really hard to pass up. Or if I felt that the full extent of my self-defense needs could be fulfilled by 2 relatively slow shots from a large caliber handgun at close range, I might also be persuaded to carry one in .45Colt or something similar.

Last edited:

C0untZer0

I know this thread is about Bond, and I stated that it's hard for me to justify purchasing a derringer.

But having said that, I've already conceded that I'm going to have to buy a Heizer DoubleTap just based on the neato factor.

I know I'm just going to have to get one.

Heizer DoubleTap
Caliber:9mm and .45 ACP
Barrel:3.0in
Length:5.5in
Height:3.9in
Weight:13.5oz
Capacity:2 Rounds

attachment.php

C0untZer0

Three Bond Century 2000

Caliber:9mm (also 40S&W,10mm and .45 ACP)
OAL: 16.5in
Weight: 63 oz.
Capacity: 6 rounds
Price: $1,200

One Rohrbaugh R9

Caliber:9mm
OAL: 5.2in
Weight:13.5 oz.
Capacity:6+1 Rounds
Price: $1,200

Shadi Khalil

I've never shot one but I did have the pleasure of handling one while gun shopping with the wife. They are great looking guns that feel very well made. They are so aesthetically pleasing that I'd like to own one just to look at and fondle.

arch308

Have you ever shot a ported barrel at night? I have and believe me I never carried that gun for SD again! It's like a flash bulb of the most magnitude imaginable going off 3 ft in front of your dialated pupils. You will be blind for quite some time, I was.
Other than that the Heizer sure looks cool! IMO you could better spend your money for SD.

DPris

Member Emeritus
The flash through a ported barrel depends on the type of powder used.
I've test-fired a 3-inch ported .357 Mag in the dark with several loads, those with a flash-retardant powder were no problem at all.
Denis

Status
Not open for further replies.