Bonanza clip of reloading

shafter

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this has been posted before. Since we all like to talk about the old western guns that held 30 rounds I thought you might like this. Cap and ball pistols to boot!
I think Ben and Hoss are shooting 1858 New Army's, Little Joe a 1851 Navy, and Adam an 1860 Army.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i5vnwt17W4

Thanks. I never noticed how good the lighting was on those shows. They were supposed to have oil or gas fired lamps in the hotel, yet the lighting was so good. There's also a framed picture covered with glass. I don't know when that practice began.

The reloading scenes were certainly the highlight.

ClemBert

Hahahahaha at time 4:50 into the clip....I'll take Pale Rider's conversion over Little Joe's. Little Joe would have had to carry a mallet and a brass punch along with him if he was shooting any of my Colt reproductions. LOL.

Little Joe's 1851

Hardcase

I'm with Clem - I think I've only got one Colt with a wedge that pops out like that! But I've got to say that I don't think that I've ever seen anybody ever reload a six shooter like that in the old TV shows. It was kind of clever in that episode, too - there wasn't any particular attention drawn to it, really.

shafter

I remember seeing it a long time ago and finally thought to look it up and post.

Actually the wedge on my '51 comes out with hard thumb pressure.

ClemBert

Honestly, it would make me a little nervous to have a wedge that so easily slid out.

In this "claimed" updated photo of the firearm it would appear that not only was the barrel shortened but now the firearm sports an ejector which means the firearm has a loading gate. Too bad we didn't get a pic of the other side of the firearm. I kind of wonder if this claim is just BS anyways.

BZLittleJoeColtNavy.jpg

shafter

That isn't the pistol Little Joe used in Season 1. The loading-lever latch is right up near the end of the barrel on Joe's gun.

MJN77

Don't know if it is or not, but if you actually read what the link says about the gun, it tells you that the gun has since been altered a couple of times. That would explain the difference.

Hawg

Actually the wedge on my '51 comes out with hard thumb pressure.

The wedge on my 60 came out with mild thumb pressure but it was never a problem.

I thought it was funny, they fired countless rounds before reloading then Joe reloaded again without firing a shot.:D

Hardcase

Joe reloaded again without firing a shot.

A good scout is always prepared!

Those Cartwrights were good folks - did you notice that as soon as the bad guys got into the newspaper office, Ben and his boys put away their shootin' irons and took care of them mano a mano?

Hardcase - you make a good point. One thing about television in the '60s, they didn't magnify violence like the media does today. That said, there was no shortage of people shooting people on Bonanza.

One other thing about the show is how the portray Virginia City. Broad, wide streets on flat land. Nope. Virginia City is built on a hillside and its streets are narrow. I should have known better when I first visited it.

shafter

Haha that is true about Joe reloading and then loading again. Previously in the gunfight Ben and the boys fire a bunch of shots, probably a lot more than the total rounds in their guns. Even so, just seeing them reload is a rare sight.

Yeah Virginia City isn't quite authentic. At least in the earlier episodes it seemed a bit wilder and more dangerous. Season 1 was definately the best I think.

Oh yeah and the used HENRY"S instead of Winchesters in the early ones too.

Cowboy Jim

I would like to post a reply about the 1851 Navy conversion that is pictured . The pistol was owned by Stembridge Gun Rentals & was rented to Paramount Studios for Michael Landon's use in 1959. It is identified by serial number on Stembridge rental sheets & has been documented by Syd Stembridge, the current owner of SGR, as having been used by Michael Landon. I know this, because I own the pistol. I had paperwork identifying this pistol in hand for around 4 years before I found this pistol, & the pistol did not come from the same source as the paperwork. At some point after Bonanza, 2 inches was cut off of the barrel & the pistol was used in The Outlaw Josey Wales. It was carried by Clint Eastwood in his shoulder holster. Again, listed by serial # on Josey Wales paperwork from Stembridge & documented by Syd Stembridge to Eastwoods use. After that movie, the loading ram was removed & an ejector housing installed. And by the way, it does have a loading gate.

Cowboy Jim

Thank you for the welcome. The pistol is an original Colt. Being a computer idiot, I will have to wait till my daughter comes over to put another photo up.
Please bear with me.

ClemBert

Welcome to the forum Cowboy Jim. Very kewl :cool: that the owner of said firearm is a forum member. Look forward to seeing new pics of the revolver. Also interested in hearing the full run down on the history of this piece.