Bolt Slug Guns: Mossberg 695 / Savage 210F????

Full-choke

I have been looking to move to a dedicated slug gun this year for deer season. I know I will carry my TC Encore in 45-70 pistol mode some of the time. My original thought was to get a 20 gauge slug barrel for it, but I don't want to have to switch it every night/morning based on how or where I am hunting.

The local gun shop has a Savage 210F sitting on their used rack, it caught my eye enough to interest me. After some gunbroker research I have come down to the fact that both the Mossberg 695 and the Savage 210F look like they would be a lot of fun and a butt whoopin' at the same time. Since that is my kind of gun, does anybody have any experience with either of them? How accurate are they? Do they really kick pretty hard or no more then you would expect?

Thanks,
F-C

mikenbarb

Savage 210F

I have owned a 210F since 1998 and never had a problem with it. Its a great shooter and groups well(around 6-8")@ 150yds. I had my gunsmith clean up the crown and do a little chamber and bolt work and it made it alot better. Tha Savage likes 3" Sabots and doesnt like any 2 3/4 that well. Called Savage on this and they said they recommend 3" only for some reason. I also know a few guys that own the Mossberg bolt and they love them and are good shooters. Im taking Uncle Sams check and going and buying a Tar-Hunt. Great guns but you pay for it. Also on the Savage you have to use a high mount rings due to shell ejection angle. Savage lists their recomendation for ring clearance in the owners manual or give them a call.

Full-choke

Thanks for the info. I have always been a fan of Savage, and never that big one of Mossberg. I am seriously considering getting one of these things but I just don't know yet. The Mossberg's have porting on the side which would help recoil and probably help accuracy too. But I don't know about enough about Mossberg and their customer service, etc. if I were to ever have a problem with it.

F-C

mikenbarb

The Savage doesnt kick much and if you have a longer eye relief scope it shouldnt be a problem. The muzzle blast from a Mossberg is pretty bad and thats why I didnt buy one(shot my friends first). I think I paid $289.00 for mine new but im sure their alot more now. If your into slug hunting its a good accurate gun that can take a beating. I use mine for a backup to my 1100 or if the weather is bad I grab the Savage. Good luck, Mike