Bolt/ single shot action rifle

zachattack2

I would like to get a bolt action or single shot rifle In a relatively popular caliber such as a .223. I would like to spend around $400 or a little bit more with out a scope for a gun.

I am open to any caliber that is not to hard to find and is not to expensive. I was looking at a savage model 11 prarie dog model in .223 for $420 at cabelas, any thoughts on that rifle?

I also saw the H&R hands single shot rifles that I thought look pretty nice but they are discontinued so I don't know? Any thoughts on H&R handi rifles now that they are discontinued?
Any other nice single shots?

Does anybody have some thoughts on a nice rifle for around $400? All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach

WCWV

CVA scout single shot? I was looking at a 44-mag @ Cabelas awhile back. Don't remember what calibers that they make. I know it had a good price on them. Just a thought for you

Blindstitch

The only thought I have is Seek more options in stores to see if there are better prices. Every time I go to Cabelas the prices are jacked up another $100.

I was looking at a used Mossberg 500 12 gauge that I can buy 5 miles down the road for $274 new. They were asking $350 really used.

Picher

You're lucky, since there are several pretty nice shooting rifles under $400 these days. The Ruger American is one, as is the Remington 783.

Doyle

See if you can find a Marlin X series. They have now been discontinued but there are still plenty of new ones on the dealer shelves. They were probably the best of the "discount" rifles.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly you are looking for. Maybe you are too?

You have had several posts looking for feedback on:
AR15's
10/22's
Single Shot break action rifles
Handguns

All with about the same monetary criteria. Are you buying that many guns, creating conversation, or just can't decide what your next purchase is going to be?

If the latter, maybe start a thread and ask opinions on what you should buy based on all of your options?

zachattack2

I have asked questions about so many topics because I can't make up my mind.
I keep wanting a gun and then here bad stuff about it.

I am either getting a 223 bolt action or 9mm pistol probably

James K

Member In Memoriam
I don't know of a GOOD single shot rifle on the market today. There are some by CVA and NEF which are basically modified single barrel shotguns. The other is the Ruger No. 1, at the other end for quality and price.

It would be much easier to find a suitable bolt action and use it as a single shot if you prefer.

Jim

Snyper

There are some by CVA and NEF
NEF (H&R) is no longer producing Handi-Rifles and no one seems sure about how much longer parts will be available

TC Contenders and Encores are still an option, and I suspect there may be some used in the OP's price range

I'd just get a bolt action myself

Blindstitch

I would suggest you go to a store that has a lot of guns and fondle the ones that you are interested in. Eventually you will buy one and then another.

Handguns are their own mess and just as much of a pain to decide on.

zachattack2

9x19,
I like the ruger American rifle in 223 but for only $20 dollars more you could get the savage model 11 223 that I heard is better, better action, easer to change barrel, and thicker barrel.

I don't know maybe there is a better reason to get the tiger American rifle, idk?
Just wondering, what is your reasoning?

Thanks,
Zach

9x19

For my uses, I like short barrels and lightweight stocks.

The Ruger offers both and I like their trigger design and their tang safety.

I don't plan to change the barrel, so...

upstate81

I have a savage 11 in .223 with the accutrigger package with the nikon scope i paid 500 for it new. Ive since swapped the scope and mounts/ rings like i knew i would...very very accurate gun. Shoots an inch or less at 100 with bulk pack 45 grain winchester ammo. Im not a huge fan of the accutrigger (i have 3) but adjusted all the way down it works quite well. I adjusted the trigger and went shooting....essentially its probably the best package deal one can go. Pretty easy to sell that scope when you want to upgrade. Unlike all the other budget package scope combos. Stock has some flex but comes totally free floated and has a hearty bedding block.

Mobuck

Just my thoughts: It's hard to get a break action rifle to shoot as accurately as a bolt action. I base this on owning and shooting 5-6 different H&R and Rossi single shots vs numerous bolt actions of various makes. The break action requires lifting from the rest for every shot which disturbs and adds variances to the support. In addition, the accuracy of the break actions I've shot was vulnerable to how the action was closed. Snapping the action closed hard produced a slightly different POI vs closing the action softly until it locked.

Doyle

Sorry to derail the thread. Is that mainly an NEF thing? Because i ve never noticed that with my contender...
No, not just an NEF thing. The process of machining two moving pieces like that hinge is never exact. Therefore, there will always be a certain amount of "slop" in the joint. Encore and Ruger #1 owners will frequently spend lots of time (and sometimes money) minimizing that variation.

Sometimes, you get a frame and barrel combination that comes together magically and shoots dime-sized groups. Other times, you get a combination that never works well together.

upstate81

Ahh i see makes a lot of sense. I guess ive never noticed because i mostly hunt with it and only sit at the bench once a year for a few boxes of shells. Maybe I just got lucky. I have a collection of barrels but mostly shoot the same one. I should scope some more and see what happens im intrigued now. My 7-30 waters barrel shoot great. Im no world class pistol shooter either.