Bolt ID?

jonnyc

Just found this bolt in a box of stuff I ended up with. I think it's a Remington with a .308 bolt face. I have no need of it but I would like to have a definite idea of what it fits, and a ball-park figure of what it's worth.

Attachments

• bolt1.jpg
    bolt1.jpg
    804.1 KB · Views: 82
  • bolt2.jpg
    bolt2.jpg
    837.4 KB · Views: 64

44 AMP

Staff
It appears to be from a Remington 700, possibly a BDL model.

No idea what its worth but check Numrich (Gun Parts Corp) and see what they price the parts at (assuming they still have any..)

Scorch

Remington 700 SA bolt with the J-lock. Value is maybe $100, not as desirable as one without the J-lock. You have to replace the bolt plug to get rid of the J-lock, they cost about $30 or so.

hammie

After measuring my remington 700 short action bolt, I got 5 3/8 inches for the length of the bolt body (measured from the front of the body to the rear, excluding the striker assembly and shroud), and 6 1/2 inches for the overall length. The long action bolt body measured 6 1/4 inches, and the overall length was 7 3/8 inches.

I think scorch in post #3 was the first to completely answer. It appears to be a remington 700, short action bolt, with a "J" lock. Scorch has pretty good eyes. It is sometimes hard to guess dimensions from an internet picture.

tango1niner

Bolt could be from a Model 7, which is about 1/2" shorter than Model 700 short action. The Model 600 is the same length but has the distinctive "dog leg" bolt handle. It could also be from a Model 660 or Model 673 which are variants of the 600.

44 AMP

Staff
J-Lock? hmmm I was wondering on what that round thing that didn't belong on a model 700 bolt shroud was....

I'm afraid I haven't kept up on the various little changes, especially the obviously lawsuit driven ones. I assume that's a lock for the firing pin??

None of the guns I had before the turn of the century had such a thing, and I haven't gotten (or really looked at) any 700s since then.

I did hear about a lock in the 870 and a plastic triggerguard...

Low have the mighty fallen....:(

hammie

@jonnyc: The remington 700 bolt which I measured did not have a j lock. The shroud with the j lock is about 1/4 inch longer, and so if you correct for that, then the measurements correspond to a remington 700, short action bolt. Again, I believe scorch got it right in post #3.

@44AMP: Although there is some confusion about the starting date, I think j-lock use started in 2002 and ended with 2005 production, inclusive. My 700 classic in .221 fireball was issued in 2002 and it had the j-lock. It was replaced with a PTG firing pin and shroud assembly. That got rid of the j-lock and the snakey firing pin spring. Gre Tan, David Tubb, and PTG all offer remington 700 firing pin assemblies to replace the j-lock assembly.