Bolt action stiff #2

Don Fischer

Read that thread and saw the comment about the front action screw being to long. I've got a couple Mossberg Patriot's that maybe I shouldn't fool with but, that front action screw on then goes a bit to deep and touch's the thread's on the barrel threads. Haven't done a thing with the bedding on either but thinking now maybe I could shim up the action a bit and get the screw out of there. Thinking shim a bit because there just isn't a lot of thread's on that screw. The first one I got had a plastic stock and I changed it to wood and the rear action screw was to short. Mossberg sent me out a new one right away, fit nicely. I do't suppose anyone has tried shiming that front screw?

Shimming it or shortening the screw produces the same end result. The screw loses a little purchase on the action, which is the intent. What is your definition “isn’t a lot of threads on that screw”? 1/2”, less? How many threads get a purchase on the action?

cw308

I don't see any problem with screw threads loosing tention if it winds up even and not protruding. Shims would work fine , alittle blue on threads problem solved . 45" lbs on wood 65" lbs on composite.

I wouldn’t go 65” pounds on composite UNLESS there is an aluminum pillar/bedding block. If it’s straight composite, 35-40” pounds

Last edited:

tangolima

Shimming up the action? You mean putting shims between the receiver and stock to raise the former from the latter? I wouldn't think it is a wise thing to do just to fix a screw too long.

If it is too long, shortening it back to correct length shouldn't be anything close to making it too short.

My rule of thumb for torquing action screw.
No bedding, no pillar: 45 in-lb.
Bedding, no pillar: 50 in-lb.
No bedding, pillar: 55 in-lb.
Bedding, pillar: 60 in-lb.
Metal bedding block: 60-65 in-lb.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

RC20

I don't see any problem with screw threads loosing tention if it winds up even and not protruding. Shims would work fine , alittle blue on threads problem solved . 45" lbs on wood 65" lbs on composite.

Any loss of tension on a fastener is going into the plastic range. You have a fastener issue not a gluing issue.

Gluing it keeps it form coming out, it does not do anything for the loss of tension. Your base will still move and get worse over time.

The right approach is to deal with what is wrong with the fastener. They don't loosen up on their own.

Fasteners are intended to work in the elastic range. If its out of that, the fastener was a poor one, it was over tightened past its elastic ability and has gone into plastic (permanent deformation) or a combination of the two.