Bolt Action or Semi-auto .44 Magnum?

ws6_keith

How about a lever gun? 20" barrel with 10 rounds in the tube mag:

Blued Version:http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/1894_centerfireRifles/1894.htm

Stainless Version:http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/1894_centerfireRifles/1894SS.htm

Then there is the Davidsons special edition like I just got. :D 16-1/4" barrel, stainless with gray laminated stocks. 7 rounds in the mag tube.

DSCN4818.JPG

DSCN4815.JPG

A little more spendy though, as it's a limited edition, only 351 being made.

Waffen

Nice looking rifle Keith. Makes me jealous!

I can only think of a few off the top of my head.

Ruger made 2 different .44 carbines. The original .44 looked almost exactly like a 10/22 but slightly beefed up. I belive it used a 4 round rotary mag akin to the 10 round rotary mag used by the 10/22. Many people that I talk with consider this Ruger .44 to be the better of the two.

The second version of the .44 carbine that Ruger made was the "Deefield Carbine" which is basically a M1 carbine chambered in .44. It uses the same rotary bolt design as the Mini-14, M1 Carbine, M1 Garand, M-14.

Ruger also made a 77/44. I saw on in the used gun rack down here at Cabelas and played with it. I really felt like walking away with it, except for the $500 price tag. I don't think ruger makes this model anymore, but it sure was nice looking. I would guess it had a 18-20inch barrel.

Rossi makes the Model 92 lever action in .44. I have never handled or shot a Rossi so I can't comment on the quality.

Puma also makes a Model 92 chambered in .44. Like the Rossi I can't comment on this one. I haven't even seen a puma in real life before.

Hope this helps.

esldude

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=7401&return=Y

Ruger still makes the 77/44 in bolt action. I always wanted one. But didn't want to pay the price.

I don't care for lever guns. Don't really know why, just don't somehow. I have owned a Marlin in 357, and it was one fine shooting, handy sized rifle. Wish they made that caliber in a bolt gun too.

If you feel alright about the lever guns, I would suggest looking at the Marlin in 44 mag.

Ac1d0v3r1d3

links

i like how theres 2 links to the same ruger page on this thread....

i own a marlin 1892 in .44 mag. shes a real nice gun, real accurate and a lot of fun to shoot in .44 special. after about 100 rounds of .44mag its not fun anymore. well it is, it just hurts some :D

ws6_keith

Havn't shot mine yet, but I can't imagine the 44mag being worse than my 45-70...and that's a breeze to shoot. Definitely less recoil than 12ga with 2-3/4" mag shells in it.

liliysdad

Remington made the 788 in .44Mag for quite some time. The 788 is a far better gun than any Ruger offering, and as good as the Marlin. They can be found for under 250, if you look.

Ruger4570

Waffen: Slight correction, I have one of the "original" Ruger 44 "Deerstakers" and it used a tubular feed,, but it does look like a grown up 10/22 for sure LOL. Ruger had to change the name from Deerstalker because of a lawsuit from Ithaca which made the Model 37 "Deerslayer" which sounded too similar I guess. To me it is 2 different words. I guess the now defunct Ithaca saw a chance to pocket some of Rugers money. Ruger finally called it the Deerfield without incident and complaints from Ithaca. I do like mine and have found it can be very accurate. I have a couple of groups measuring around 1 1/2 " at 100 yards. For a lightweight carbine it shoots a lot better than either of the Mini-14's I have had.