Bolt action in .308

CAP1

I'm looking to get a bolt action in .308. What do you all have and shoot - Winchester, Marlin, Savage, Remmington?
I'm looking for something accurate that will reach out there and touch 'em. I'm guessing something in the 26" barrel length.
What do you like and why.
Thanks,
CAP

Bullzye

The Kimber 84 is an excellent choice. Out of curiosity, what is your price range?? The Savage is an extremely accurate rifle for an affordable price. There are may affordable yet extremely accurate rifles out there.

The Browning A-Bolt is a very accurate bolt as well

cratz2

Well, I bet a lot of us have 308s...

I have or have had a Winchester HBV, two Savages and a Remington ADL. All were plenty accurate. I really like my newest Winchester. In general, I prefer the way Winchesters handle. I would like to find a Remington 700 Police or PSS to match my 223.

I'm assuming you are wanting a heavy barrel/tactical type rifle.

The Savage is the way to go on a budget. You should be able to get the 12FV (heavy barrel, black metal, synthetic stock) for about $360 or the same with a stainless fluted barrel for about $30 more. Can't beat 'em for the price. The stock is kind of flimsy and the trigger is rough out of the box but the trigger can be fixed in about 2 minutes. The stock you may be able to live with or you may find yourself wanting to replace it. It will serve you well for quite a while if not forever.

Next up would be the Winchester Stealth or Remington VS at about $620. This is a big financial step but both come with adjustable triggers and stocks that are far superior to the Savage. You just need to figure out what your price range is and if you can live with a flexable stock at least for a while.

CAP1

Bullzye,
I hate to say price is no object because it is, but I don't mind paying a little more for high quality and accuracy. I'd like to keep it in the $5-700 range, but it's negotiable.
Thanks.

Bullzye

Is that with or without a scope??

The Remington 700 is a fine rifle as are the pre '64 model 70's.

The Weatherby Vanguard can be had with a heavy barrel for about 650-750 used.

Point is, there is a plethora of accurate "tactical" style rifles out there for under $800. You just need go out and pick em up and see which one fits you best, let that make you decision, not so much price driven.

hercules

Well my wife has a Savage 110 in .308 win. topped with a Leupold Vari-X II 3.5x10x40.
I am not able yet to beat her groups with my .300 WM Browning A-Bolt topped with a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5x10x50. Her rifle is just extremely acccurate. The only thing I don't like with it is the trigger, and the action is not as smooth as mine is. However, we'll be looking for an afterm. trigger soon. Any suggestions for a good aftermarket for the 110?

dakotasin

22" remington 700, topped w/ quality glass (along the lines of leupold 3.5-10, or so), and a proper trigger; whether that is adjusted by you or your smith, or replaced alltogether is personal preference.

take this rifle, maybe float the barrel, stuff some rl-15 or varget into a winchester case, light it off w/ a cci br-2 primer, and watch your 150 grain hornady bullets go into tight little clusters on the target.

Jamis

I'd recommend you try a Sako or Tikka. My Tikka .308 is a tackdriver. The Tikka is same barrel as the Sako but with a little less refinement for a good savings on price. Tikka also won't let a rifle out of the factory unless it shoots at least a 1" group at 100 yards. In my opinion you'll stand a better chance of getting an accurate rifle than you will with the American made rifles.

Cody

I have the Win Mdl 70 Stealth in .308. I just finished adjusting the trigger after doing a lot of swearing it took me a couple evenings but I am quite happy with the results and have lightened up the trigger by quite a bit. I also replaced the stock screws with allen head screws I got from Brownells. I will find out how it does at the range this weekend. I have a low end Bushnell 4 - 15x Scope mounted on it for right now but only use the rifle for punching paper. If I ever decide to use it for varmint hunting than I will look for a quality scope.

Cody

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Cody, I have mixed emotions about those allen-head stock screws. Sure, you can be more precise in tightening, but regular screwheads have never caused me any problem. They're a solution to a problem I never had.

The old "however" is, if you're in deer camp and there is some reason to take the action out of the stock, there's high odds the world is real full of screwdrivers and real short on allen wrenches.

Art

Cody

Art Eatman " The old "however" is, if you're in deer camp and there is some reason to take the action out of the stock, there's high odds the world is real full of screwdrivers and real short on allen wrenches. "

Good valid point made but the rifle will be used only for punching paper at the range or maybe varmint hunting and that will be it. With the scope the rifle weighs in at around 11.5 pounds....

Cody

twoblink

How accurate do you want?

I have a Mauser in 308 that I bought for $225. New GI barrel in 308, only two test shots fired out of it before I bought it!!

It's accurate enough; as accurate as I can be with iron sights. If you want ACCURATE, with price being no object, then I'd recommend a Weatherby, Sako, Tikka, Savage, in that order as far as price.

Tikka's are a HARD deal to pass up, they are accurate, they skimp on a few parts but nothing that effects the accuracy of the rifle. It's Sako's little brother, but not any less accurate. Also, the Sako, Tikka and Weatherby actions are smoother then Skippy peanut butter. My Mauser isn't there, but maybe a visit with some toothpaste and a dremel will get it there..

Poodleshooter

The old "however" is, if you're in deer camp and there is some reason to take the action out of the stock, there's high odds the world is real full of screwdrivers and real short on allen wrenches.
I solved that problem with a set of folding hex wrenches- available at WallyWorld for about $3-5. They usually include about 8 different sized straight hex wrenches in one handy Swiss army style folding tool about 3-4" long. They hardly take up any space. Tossed one in the truck and one in my shooting bag. I never worry about loose scope screws anymore.

Mikul

I looked into this a couple of months ago in anticipation on purchasing a tack driver in .308. I want something that will punch 1/4 MOA groups.

The Remington 700 series is the way to go. The parts and accessories available make this project doable without having to invent my own wheel.

Then again, I'm expecting to spend over $2,000 by the time I'm finished, but that will include a scope... I'm thinking "illuminated mil-dot."

L1a1Falfan

I own a Remington 700 PSS in .308.
Will shoot down to 1/4" 3-shot groups at 100 yards using factory match ammo off the bench with a Parker Hale bipod.

Had to dig through some of my old issues of Gun Tests.

Attached is their 11-96 review of both the Rem 700 PSS and the Savage.

Cover:

Attachments

• 11-96 gun tests rem vs savage 1.jpg
    11-96 gun tests rem vs savage 1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 116