Bolt Action .22 New Vs Old

kst8fan

I have been looking for a bolt action 22 here lately as I already have a few semi auto 22's. I really like the Savage Mark 2's but haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. I have been searching the net for older guns and I really like the Marlin 781. I like the tubular mag as opposed to the traditional 5-10 rd mags. Growing up my dad had a Remington 582 that I really liked also. So the question is buy new or find an older one. Older ones in my area go for $150-250 in my local gun shops where A new Savage Mark 2 BV (bull barrel model) would be close to $400 out the door. Are the new bolt 22's of today as good a quality as the older ones? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hunter Customs

I have several 22 rifles, nothing real new, I like the older ones.
My favorite is a Winchester 75 with aperture sights, next in line would be my Savage 4C.
The older ones were made well and to me they have a lot of class.
If it was my money being spent I would looking for the older Winchesters and Remingtons.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Mosin-Marauder

My Current ongoing project (My Remington 514, 1949 manufacture) can shoot the daylights out of my 10/22. the 10/22 is just funner to shoot, I think.

baddarryl

I have a Marlin 981T bolt action with the tube mag that is a great gun. I put a Marlin 781/783 stock on it (info on Rimfire Central) and a Rifle Basix trigger and the thing is sick. Accurate too. I love it. Will shoot LR, shorts, everything. Those are worth a look if you can find one.

Attachments

• Marlin 981T resized.jpg
    Marlin 981T resized.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

SC4006

Nothing wrong with getting a used bolt action .22, in fact if you like Marlin, from what I've heard the older marlins are of much better quality than present models. I have a marlin model 25N (my first ever gun actually) that was manufactured in 1989, and it's in excellent condition, operates smoothly, and is a great shooter.

jeager106

I really like the older Remingtons. Currently shooting a 512, 511, 513, 552 and will buy any older Rem. in good shape.
Hey, back then they even had real walnut stocks.:D

Doyle

You are comparing apples and oranges (bull barrel Mk II to a pencil barrel older model). If you are comparing oranges to oranges, you can get the standard barrel Mk II for about $150.

That being said, I'm with Jeager on the 5XX Remingtons. I've got a nasty looking old 512x that was my Grandfather's snake gun. It will out shoot any other .22LR I've ever owned.

FrankenMauser

I really like some of the older designs.

In fact, one of the best .22s that I own is an old Springfield (Stevens), built between 1903 and 1913.
It's been through hell, looks like hell, and was in pieces when I bought it. But it shoots straight, and has become a family favorite ... even if it is 90 years older than my other .22s, and uglier than sin.

If you know what you want, and it's only available on the used market, don't be afraid to take a shot.

Bennyfatsack

My two favourite bolt action .22s I own are and old mossberg tubular mag hand down to me from my grand father learnt to shoot with it iron sights no option for scope , next funnily enough is also a mossberg plinkster brand new, cheap and nasty 10 shot drop out mag, made in brazil needed heaps of stone and oil work to get action free and smooth, but has trouble grouping high velocity rounds, standard and low group great. But if it came to a 22. I needed acuracy with my bull barrel stainless thumbhole savage out shoots all of my 6 other .22's. all day everyday, I've got old guns so I'd by new but I enjoy having both. So buy both!!

Scorch

I love 22 rifles, especially the older ones. I restored a Remington 512 that was left in a barn for about 50 years (and looked like it), rebuilt a Remington 580 into a neat little bench gun, got an old Winchester 67 in trade for something that was trashed and had a bulged barrel, now it looks totally different as my son's first rifle.

I currently have a couple of older 22s for sale, a Marlin 81DL and a Marlin 80, both good shooters. Let me know if you are interested

kst8fan

Thanks for the replies. I definately like the look of the older Marlins especially the 781's. Problem is finding one. I check armslist daily (sometimes hourly lol). Found a few Marlin 81's but I wasn't quick enough as they sold. Definately will keep an eye out. Something about older guns I just love. People seemed to care more about quality back then.

Hunter Customs

I definately like the look of the older Marlins especially the 781's. Problem is finding one.

kst8fan, if you have the time check out some Kansas farm auctions.
I've purchased some pretty nice old 22s at farm auctions, however sometimes they bring a premium price.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Old .22s (1930s through 1980s) are *generally* much better than new ones. Just make sure they have a rail if you want to scope it. Some didn't back then.

Those old wood and blued steel ones are not only better, they're cheaper than new ones, generally speaking.

emcon5

The problem with old rifles is that they are to quote Forrest Gump, "like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get".

I have an old Remington 513T match rifle, which is a tack driver. With that in my head, I started looking for a 51x series rifle to get to teach my son to shoot. Ended up with a "Scoremaster" 511, was in pretty good shape, and I got it for a decent price.

Took it to the range, and at 50 yards, with any ammo I tried, it shot a dinner plate sized group, about a foot to the right. Still don't understand it, the rifling looked good, the crown was fine, and the barrel looked perfectly straight.

Got rid of it, now I am looking at a Ruger American Rimfire. That will probably be under the tree this Christmas.

candr44

In my opinion the .22 rifles from the 1940s and 50s are better made. Older than that and the design and technology starts to look too outdated. From the 1960s up you start to see cheaper wood stocks, more plastic, stamped, and cheaply cast parts.

One of the most accurate rifles I have is an old Savage model 5 bolt action from the 40s. Mossberg and Marlin also made some good guns back then. Mossberg also put a little extra effort in making a good reliable design.

mtlucas0311

You didn't mention a price limit or what your plans are for it, but for a 22 Rimfire, I'd take a rifle from the late 60's through the 70's all day long. There's a fair amount of older Anschutz 54 action rifles out there that seem to bring $500 to $800. All the ones I've seen have great bores and actions, but a few have had beat up wood and could use a new crown. Another really accurate rifle is the old Savage/Anschutz rifles. It's really just an Anschutz 64 action imported by Savage, but they shoot great and cost a little less than a 54. Both easily take optics.