Bogus story on LAPD Authorizing .380?

KyJim

I ran across several sites parroting a memo that was supposedly issued by LAPD that begins, "In order to encourage officers to carry back-up and off-duty firearms, as well as to take advantage of the technological advances in firearm and ammunition construction, the Department has authorized the following .380 caliber pistols and ammunition: . . ."

The memo goes onto say that the Ruger LCP and SW Bodyguard .380 are authorized with Hornady Critical Defense ammo only. This apparently ran the gamut in several forums earlier in the year. Here are a link to a couple:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-415549.html
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-...-authorizes-s-w-bodyguard-ruger-lcp-380s.html

Anyway, I couldn't find anything on Google News and then looked at the websites for Hornady, Ruger, and Smith&Wesson. I couldn't find any press releases -- you would think they might issue a press release.

Anybody see any reputable sources for this story or is it just a new urban legend?

RamItOne

Somebody in the LAPD is getting some big presents under their tree this year courtesy of ruger and SnW

Edit- and hornady

KyJim

Shooting Times

Personal Defense Issue

p 120 "Authorized" by Jeremy Stafford

re: SW Bodyguard 380 and Ruger LCP
Thanks. Google reveals Mr. Stafford is an LAPD officer and SWAT and defense instructor. That's good enough for me.

I will now re-assess my thoughts on carrying hollow points in a .380 (Hornady Critical Defense).

Daekar

Well, I guess all us .380 carriers aren't dummies after all. It makes me want to test Critical Defense out of my P238, I'm using flat-nosed FMJs for penetration right now.

island18

I carry my Bodyguard with Gold Dot 124 gr, and use Wallmart 115 gr for practice. Little over 1000 rounds with no problems since day one.
I carry this gun much more often than my EMP 9mm

tahunua001

why is this bogus? just about every PD I've seen encourages backup bugger guns and none of them issue one, just because a PD issues a 40 cal doesn't not mean that is the only round that they allow. a bug out gun is a last resort. odds of having to use a primary in the line of duty are just slightly less than winning the lottery, odds of having to use a backup gun are much higher. if the day comes that you gotta use one I would rather have the most ammo possible.

fastbolt

As I recall, S&W also made a special run of some J-frames at the request of either LAPD or LASD (but LAPD is ringing a bigger bell for some reason), made along the lines of the M&P 340 but chambered in .38 Spl (+P).

If I also recall right, LAPD requires the S&W .380 to have its laser sighting device deactivated (an armorer removes the batteries) before it's approved and authorized for use.

KyJim

why is this bogus?
tahunua001 -- Did you not see the question mark at the end of the thread title? Did you not read the answer giving a source for the story? It's been verified by a credible source. No reason to dwell on that aspect of the thread.

C0untZer0

I saw a Sheriff's officer a while ago wearing a Bond Derringer in a chest rig...

ATTENTION ALL BOND DERRINGER OWNERS !!!

ATTENTION !!!

YOU'VE BEEN RIGHT ALL ALONG !

You were wise to make that Bond Derringer purchase. You are astute and intelligent. Your powers of reasoning are admirable. You have great judgment and now you are finally vindicated. And if anyone ever questioned your purchase of a Bond Derringer - you can now show then up to be the fools they are, because DuPage County Sheriff’s department let’s their officers use them !