bobtailed the SW1911PD

hoytinak

Well, I finally took a knife to my SW1911PD and bobtailed it. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. Got a set of Sarge's grips on order to complete it. Just one question: What should I use to paint/re-blue the aluminum frame where I cut it? (I just used a touch up paint marker for now)

Sturmgewehre

Nice work. Do you work with metal professionally or as a hobby? Or was this your first attempt at something such as this?

I would send it out to have it professionally refinished. Pick a color you really like and go for it.

Personally, I would do a brushed hard chrome. I'm thinking of doing that to one of my SA's.

CortJestir

Don't know anything about refinishing, Hoy, but just wanted to say that looks pretty good.

What'd you use for the chop job? And more importantly, what set of grips did you get? ;)

Sarge43

Hoytinak,
The grips we're talking about for that weapon will be stellar on it! Ooh, this is going to be cool. Now I want to go home early and get in the shop!
;)

hoytinak

Thanks guys. This was my first attempt at something like this and I admitt I was scared at first but once I got started it wasn't that bad. I just lined up the Ed Brown mainspring housing, marked the frame, cut with dremel, used a drill press for the holes and finished with a fine file.
As for the finish, I'm not too worried about it as it is a carry gun and will get worn anyways.

Wildalaska

Hoyt where did you cut in relation to the mainspring housing pin hole? if too close to the edge, you should install a small screw to take up the stress

WildsendmeapicAlaska ™

hoytinak

Hoyt where did you cut in relation to the mainspring housing pin hole? if too close to the edge, you should install a small screw to take up the stress

Ken, please don't tell me I screwed it up. :eek:

JohnRaven

Whats the purpose of doing this??? If just to be different, okay...

But to me, it takes away the outline of what a 1911 should look like.

hoytinak

I mostly did it cause I've always liked the looks of the bobtail on a 1911 plus it's supposed to help breakup the outline of the grip when carrying concealed (don't know yet as I haven't carried it since I cut it).

Sturmgewehre

JohnRaven,

You need to handle and shoot a bob-tail 1911 to appreciate them. While they do look neat, they are also quite functional. I prefer the feel of my bob-tail over a standard 1911 grip actually.

It also removes a sharp edge from the butt of the pistol so when you conceal it in a conventional holster (especially with a forward rake), it helps to reduce the print a little.

Apone

Wow, Hoyt, you are an ambitious, adventurous man! I have a Dremel, but I wouldn't dream of doing that to my 1911! Good work, man!