Boberg XR9-S

lee n. field

You might want to watch Forgotten Weapons' review of it, on Youtube. He had some rounds disassemble due to the unique way it pulls rounds from the magazine.

Theohazard

Buy it! It's a really cool design and I'd love to have one. That said, it's also a unique design that really hasn't been proven yet as a reliable self-defense gun. Me, I would thoroughly test it before I used it as a carry gun, and even then I would worry a little; the Boberg just hasn't been around long enough and in great enough numbers for me to be as confident in that design as I can be with most other designs.

LockedBreech

I would not carry a unique one-off design for self-defense or nightstand duty - for those I want boring, reliable, and proven six ways from Sunday, but I'd be happy to own one as a range toy. Neat idea.

Rembrandt

The feed design is unique to handguns but has proven itself in various military applications for some time. Only issue with rounds pulling apart is with poor crimps...Boberg addresses this extensively on their website. For reviews check out Hickcock45 and Mouseguns websites.

Nail Shooter

My only thoughts would revolve around two things. Has it proven itself to be reliable and trouble free yet? Is it worth the astronomical price?

5.56RifleGuy

Is $1200 really astronomical for a gun? Expecially one that is a huge redisgn and hand built?
I have one and I like to shoot it.

Skans

I just purchased a Boberg XRS-9 Platinum. It was slightly used - I believe it had one box of ammo shot through it. I have not had the opportunity to shoot it yet.

I have disassembled the gun several times (just field strip, not a full disassembly). I am still learning the function of each of the parts. First, let me tell you, this gun is an extremely well made, complex little machine. There is almost nothing conventional about this gun. It is all hand fitted. Some of the parts are factory polished, which makes the dao trigger exceptionally smooth.

Frankly, I don't know how Boberg is manufacturing these guns and leaving room for profit. The XR9-S is substantially smaller than my Ruger LC9 and capable of handling +P 9mm (and apparently even +P+, though not recommended) and holds 8 rounds.

You must used ammo that is crimped - READ the recommended ammo list; there are plenty of inexpensive ammo brands that can be used.

I also considered the Rohbaugh R9, but chose the Boberg for a number of reasons. When I have the opportunity to shoot it, I'll give a range report.

Sevens

When I hear about how well these are built, it seems to me like there is an opportunity here to actually see, in advance, a handgun that could become a prized & somewhat valuable collectible. It's pricey (compared to the typical market for a gun in this role), supposed to be very well built, from a small company who's future must remain in doubt. (I say that simply because it can't be argued that these have been a wild commercial success)

That's almost a step-by-step recipe for a genuine collectible. If the company were to shut down and the production of these forever suspended, it could become a genuine collectible. It would be one of those things that 10 or 20 years from now, folks would say "aww, why didn't I buy one of those?!"

Skans

That's almost a step-by-step recipe for a genuine collectible. If the company were to shut down and the production of these forever suspended, it could become a genuine collectible. It would be one of those things that 10 or 20 years from now, folks would say "aww, why didn't I buy one of those?!"

I couldn't have said it better. If I have the opportunity to pick another one up "on the cheap", I will.

Let's see - Braverman single-shot .22 pen guns going for $650+, and the Boberg at $1000 is expensive???

You aught to see the pictures on how they make the magazines. I think its on the Boberg website. It made me wonder if that much tooling and effort goes into other makes of magazines. Perhaps it does?

Sevens

While I didn't chase down the info on magazines on their website... I would imagine all magazine production is a very specific and detailed operation. It simply can't be coincidence that almost -ALL- the gun manufacturers, large and small and all in between... don't make their own magazines.

Madcap_Magician

I really wish I had picked one up. I got on the list on a lark when the first production gun came off the line, and my name came up about two years ago. It was $950 then.

Rembrandt

If you explore Arne Bobergs background, you'll find his expertise is as a designer/mechanical engineer. In the past designs were limited to 3 axis machining in order to make production runs profitable. He has been able to capitalize on a more complex-workable design by taking advantage of 5 axis CNC equipment. I'm sure he could have sold the manufacturing license to any number of companies. Reading his website, I think he made the right choice not to.