Bobcat BW89PDW HK MP5K clone.

FS2K

Back in '94 I was bummed. The assault weapon ban had just gone into effect and I hadn't finished my "must have" gun collection when it did.

I wasn't even close.

Ever since I saw that old movie "The Wild Geese" I've always wanted to own an HK MP5, but back in '94 I was no where near being able to afford an HK anything. The way I figured, I'd save up a few years and get one...then BAM! AWB went into effect. In the decade that followed my "Must have" checklist went pretty much dead, well except of a 1911 .45 ACP. Most of the stuff I wanted was blacklisted.

Then something wonderful happened: the AWB expired! And as if it were written in the stars I discovered Bobcat Weapons and their HK "clones". Even if an MP5 type weapon was finally within my reach I didn't just go out and get one. During the "dark years" I had read about other MP5 copies and they didn't have the best reputaions if you know what I mean. "Special Weapons" came to mind and there had been rumors over the net that Bobcat Weapons WAS Special Weapons just under a different name. So I decided to give Bobcat Weapons a call. Long story short I was assured that Todd Bailey (owner of Special Weapons) has nothing to do with Bobcat weapons and that the guns being produced by Bobcat were true HK replica's in the sense that they functioned exactly like HK's designs and actually use alot of genuine HK parts in their construction, as opposed to the Special Weapons SW5's which had a gas blowback recoil systems, effective, but not like the rotational bolt system HK uses.

It was a gamble, but I put my money down and ordered a Bobcat. Being a big fan of carbines I decided to try the BW89 "Personal Defense Weapon" design instead of the traditional MP5 model (called the BW5 by Bobcat). When the gun arrived I couldn't have been more pleased. The Bobcat is well constructed, no sloppy welds or rough edges anywhere, and the finish was smooth and strong. Several solvent tests (in unseen areas) verified the finish to be a tough one. Shooting it was even more satisfying. The BW89 functioned flawlessly and at the ranges this gun was intended for (around 25 yards out or so) it was even very accurate using 147gr & 115gr Winchester ball ammo. She cycled great with no problems what so ever. I fell in love instantly!

It wasn't long before the modifying bug bit me however, and I decided to modify the little carbine more to my liking. The original Choate style rear folding stock was replaced with a Brugger & Thomet UMP style unit and after 2 unsuccessful tries with cheap-axe crap mounts I finally dished out the buck 25 for a B&T optics mount as well. The B&T rear stock locks up way better than the original folder and has a way more solid feel to it when shooting also. I originally mounted a Eotech 511 Holographic sight on it, but found that set-up to be too bulky for the little gun and ended up replacing it with a Hakko reflex holo sight. The open/tubeless design of the Hakko ended up being a far better sighting system for the BW89 than the Eotch in my opinion. Last but not least I upgraded the extractor spring, not that it needed it, but since the option was there I did it. I've attached a picture of another gun to give you an idea of how my Bobcat looks, minus the Hakko sight however. Oh I should mention that the gun pictured has a polymer lower reciever and my gun has a SEF steel lower, but I'm planning on getting me a plastic navy lower in the future! :)

Obviously all of the replacement parts I bought were intended as OEM replacements for HK's MP5, so it's my guess that all of the HK parts are interchangable with the Bobcats.

As I said earlier the gun is a blast to shoot. Bobcats Weapons discourages the use of cheap (or should I say; less expensive) Chinese magazines in their weapons due to the chance of jamming, but I have never had a problem with the ones I have tried. In fact, none of the magazines I've tried didn't work. I like using the older "waffle" style straight magazines that HK originally made for the MP5 as they are easier to carry in pouches and stack better. It's a minor thing, but it does make a difference albeit a small one. Recoil is almost non existant using regular ball ammo and still not an issue when using +P. Both hollow points and ball ammo cycle great through this gun. The carbine shoots aces out to 25 yards and beyond. Compared to my other carbines the BW89 is by far the lightest I own, and that contributes alot to how much FUN this thing is to shoot. Personally FUN is the #1 factor for every one of my firearms. If it isn't fun to shoot, I won't own it.

Yeah, with a $1725.00 MSRP the Bobcat BW89PDW isn't by any stretch of the imagination what I would call cheap, but if you've always wanted an HK and couldn't get one all of this time or are unwilling to dish out $3500.00 + for a used genuine HK, the Bobcats are a great option for you to own an MP5 type weapon. They have my recommendation for sure!

Attachments

• suppressor0027dg.jpg
    suppressor0027dg.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 618