Bob Smith for President?

Morgan

From what I've heard of this guy, I like him. Anyone know his Second Amendment stand (I think I can guess, but..)?

I think the Republican majority is foolish to discount someone like Smith, who sounds more like a true Constitutional (for lack of a better term) legislator.

-------------------------------------------

Profile of Candidate Bob Smith

By HOLLY RAMER Associated Press Writer

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) -- Sen. Bob Smith is a former teacher who says the public has a lot to learn and a former high
school baseball coach who has spent his political career way out in right field.

Now the former real estate agent is bidding on some prime property: the White House.

Phil Decelle, a retired teacher who supervised Smith's first few years working in the classroom, remembers the passion for
government the young civics teacher tried to impart to his students.

Decelle, a lifelong Democrat, also remembers the heated political discussions the Republican Smith sparked with other
teachers.

``I don't want to use the word opinionated, but that's what he is. What you see is what you get,'' Decelle said. ``He says one
thing and does what he says.''

Smith, 57, is unafraid to take a stand, even if everyone else remains seated. He was one of only five senators who voted
against the 1991 Civil Rights Act, one of three senators who voted against the National Energy Policy Act in 1992 and one of
three to vote against the nomination of Ruth Bader Ginsburg for Supreme Court justice. He voted against funding for Head
Start, food stamps and emergency aid for hurricane victims.

``I was right, and the other 93 senators were wrong,'' he said about the Civil Rights vote.

Reporters laughed in a 1997 hearing when Smith called President Clinton fund-raising mess ``probably the biggest scandal in
the history of the republic.'' He also faced ridicule several years ago after giving a passionate speech against allowing elephants
on Capitol grounds.

But Smith insists his extreme views will draw people together instead of alienating them.

``I think people deserve honesty and I think there are a broad range of voters out there who agree with me,'' he said in a
telephone interview Wednesday. ``Clearly, there are enough people out there who agree with me for me to win the
presidency.''

``It's not just issues. It's integrity, it's a passion of wanting to lead,'' he said. ``It's a simple kind of feeling, a feeling of
patriotism.''

Smith has visited 20 states in the year and a half since he began considering a run, with frequent stops in Iowa, home of the
first presidential caucuses. Wherever he goes, he says he tells people about the life experiences that shaped his views: growing
up without his father, who was killed in a World War II airplane crash, serving in the Navy in Vietnam, serving his community
as a teacher and school board member.

``I've tried to introduce myself as a real person: Bob Smith the school teacher, the coach, the dad, the husband, then the
senator,'' he said. ``I think people need to know who you are. If you're a good person in your life, you have a better chance of
being a good president.''

Smith won his first House seat in 1984 after two unsuccessful campaigns and was re-elected twice. He was elected to the
Senate in 1990 and re-elected by a narrow margin in 1996.

Lois Beaulieu, a 70-year-old Newmarket businesswoman who has supported Smith from the start, says the early losses
reveal as much about Smith as the wins.

``He was a good loser,'' she said. ``If you can't be a good loser, you can't be a good winner. He never saw it as losing. It was
just on to the next election.''

Beaulieu said Smith won her over with his honesty: ``He doesn't talk double-talk. He speaks plain language.''

Although he comes from this first presidential primary state, the favorite-son factor is not looming large. In a recent poll of
New Hampshire Republicans, only 4 percent said they would vote for Smith in the primary.

Jeff Woodburn, chairman of the state Democratic Party, last week offered $100 to the first Republican officeholder or GOP
leader to endorse Smith publicly.

``We're poking fun at Bob Smith to illustrate a serious lack of support he has,'' Woodburn said. ``We're trying to find where
that lonely Republican is who will publicly support Bob Smith.''

State Rep. Tom Rice of Laconia took him up on the offer Wednesday, saying Smith would bring integrity to the White House.

``I am pleased to announce my support for my good friend Bob Smith and look forward to receiving my $100 check from
Jeff Woodburn -- payable to `Bob Smith for President,''' Rice said.

AP-NY-02-18-99 0945EST

Morgan

Well, he's going to run. He has a potential problem with his stand on abortion, but I love the remarks about ignoring pollsters and pundits, and using the Declaration of Independence and Constitution as charts.

N.H. Sen. Smith Runs for President

By HOLLY RAMER Associated Press Writer

WOLFEBORO, N.H. (AP) -- Sen. Bob Smith says he stands with the little guy, paying no attention to pundits and pollsters.
As he announced today that he was seeking the Republican presidential nomination he promised, ``It's not going to be a
campaign for the faint of heart.''

In remarks prepared for the announcement at Kingswood Regional High School, where he once taught civics, he mentioned
two ships -- the Mayflower and the Titanic -- to describe his vision for the nation. The Pilgrims on the Mayflower followed
their compass and founded a new nation, he said, while the Titanic crew went off course, hit an iceberg and sank.

``I am asking all of you to join me today to chart the right course for America and sail safely into the 21st century with a
commitment to keep America strong and free for millions yet unborn,'' he said. ``We have the charts -- the Constitution, the
Declaration of Independence, and the Holy Bible. We need a captain and a crew who will read those charts, and steer us past
the sea of icebergs that threaten our God-given rights.''

Smith said one of his first priorities as president would be pushing Congress to define life as beginning at fertilization.

``In the 1860s, Lincoln ended the moral outrage of slavery because he knew it was wrong. Abortion is the moral outrage of
the 20th century, and I will end it because it, too, is wrong,'' he said. ``I don't want to get in your face on abortion, I want to
get in your heart.''

Smith said he also would seek a thorough review of the armed services to correct problems that threaten to weaken them.
The Air Force will face a shortage of 2,000 pilots by 2002, he said, and there is a shortage of parts for military equipment
throughout the other services.

``Danger is on the horizon,'' he said. ``Our nation is completely vulnerable to a nuclear, biological or chemical missile attack
from rogue nations such as North Korea, Iran and Libya.''

As he kicks off his campaign, Smith, 57, brushes aside criticism about whether he has the message or the money for a
successful run. He has spent the last year and a half expanding the grass-roots network that has served him well in New
Hampshire and says he listens to voters, not polls.

``I'm tired of pollsters, consultants and talking heads telling us how to vote, telling us who will win,'' he said in an interview
Wednesday. ``It's important we act for ourselves. I'm a country music Republican, not a country club Republican. I want the
little guy to know he has a chance.''

Smith, who takes it as a compliment to be compared to conservative Republican Sen. Jesse Helms of North Carolina,
supports beefing up national defense, ending abortion and strengthening constitutional rights.

During a 1995 Senate debate on late-term abortions, Smith waved a plastic fetus, showed pictures of a baby that had
survived an abortion and described late-term abortion in bloody detail.

Last year, Smith was one of five conservative senators who nearly blocked passage of the Senate's $1.7 trillion budget
because it included only $30 billion in tax cuts over five years. Smith and the others, who wanted $101 billion in cuts, voted
for the plan only after GOP leaders promised the House-Senate compromise budget would boost the amount.

As a member of the U.S.-Russia Joint Commission on POWs and MIAs, Smith has been a leader in the mission to determine
the fate of missing prisoners of war and servicemen listed as missing in action.

Smith compares himself to the title character of the movie ``Mr. Smith goes to Washington,'' saying he shares ``the belief in the
goodness of the American people and the belief that they deserve good leaders.''

He is raising money for his campaign by selling $20 ``shares'' so voters can ``invest in America.'' He's raised $100,000 in the
last 30 days and hopes to bring that number up to $20 million.

Smith placed near the bottom in a poll of New Hampshire Republicans released this month by the independent American
Research Group. Four percent of 454 Republicans surveyed said they would vote for Smith in the primary; 25 percent said
they would support Elizabeth Dole.

After two failed House campaigns, Smith was elected to the first of three terms in 1984. He was elected to the Senate in 1990
and re-elected by a narrow margin in 1996.

AP-NY-02-18-99 1301EST

TEX

Yes, all very nice, but exactly what is his stand on gun control and removing those gun control laws already in place.

Morgan

He would:

Ease procedures on the purchase of firearms.
Repeal all bans and measures that restrict law-abiding citizens from owning firearms.
Allow law-abiding citizens to carry concealed firearms.

If you want to know more about his stand on everything, go to <a href="http://www.vote-smart.org/ce/npat.asp?id=S0581103">Project Vote Smart</a>.

He may not be perfect, but he's better than Dole.

[This message has been edited by Morgan (edited February 18, 1999).]

Jeff Thomas

His voting record looks pretty good.

But, hey ... what planet is this guy from? Doesn't he keep up with the news? Has he been asleep on the Senate floor? I mean, to say "If you're a good person in your life, you have a better chance of being a good president."!?!? What kinds of drugs is this fellow on? ;)

I fear most American are too brain-dead to give this fellow much of a chance. But, if he is who he seems to be, he couldn't help but run for President. At the least, sometimes people like Senator Bob Smith can move things in the right direction. Should be interesting.

Mort

As soon as I read the part about the Bible followed by his stand on abortion, I dropped any consideration of voting for Smith, even if he were to repeal all federal firearms laws and show up at my door with a gift-wrapped M249.

Morgan

Yeah, Mort, I've got the same issues. On the other hand, he's never sold us out, unlike Bush's dad and Dole's spouse. He doesn't beat around the bush (no pun intended). I like that - its something we desperately need in high level politics in this country.

I can deal with someone I disagree with on some issues when I agree on most other issues, especially when they're straight with me - unlike Bush, Dole, Clinton, and Gore.

[This message has been edited by Morgan (edited February 19, 1999).]

John/az2

I've got to ask what's wrong with his statement about the Bible and his stand on abortion? John/az

------------------
"Just because something is popular, does not make it right"

Morgan

Sorry, John, wrong forum. If you want to debate religion and abortion with me, lets take it off the board. E-mail me at jlmorga@hotmail.com if you wish.

longhair

John, i started to ask the same question but then i thought that this is America, a place(one of the few)that anyone can believe or not believe what they want, and i like it that way. :)

------------------
fiat justitia

longhaircsa@netscape.net

[This message has been edited by longhair (edited February 19, 1999).]

Tim Burke

I'd much rather have a principled politician that I disagreed with on some less important issues, than an unprincipled politician that agrees with me completely.
Bob Smith and Alan Keyes are both more conservative socially than I am, but at least when they say they support something, it's not because some poll told them that's what the people want to hear. If you insist on politicians that tell you what you want to hear, don't be surprised if that's what you get, e.g. Bill Clinton.
GOA gives Smith a lot of credit in blocking Hatch's "anti-crime" bill last session. I'm pretty sure he's truly pro-gun.

TB., NC

Ed

I recieved a fund raiser letter from Smith's campaign a couple of weeks ago. They must have gotten my name from some list of pro-gun activists(I write and call legislators a LOT) since the letter was mostly oriented toward his pro-gun credentials. He sounds great, but I doubt he has any chance of going anywhere in todays political climate.

His letter didn't give any specifics on what laws or regulations he would target for eliminatiom, just a generalized set of pro-gun statements. I think he is probably the most pro-freedom, pro-gun rights candidate out there, but unfortunatly he doesn't have a chance. IMHO, the big poobahs of the Republican party have already annointed Bush Jr. as next nominee, with Ms. Dole as the fallback in case Bush drops the ball. While Bush would be much better on the gun issues than any Dem that could be nominated, he leaves a lot to be desired on many other issues. I just can't place a lot of trust in any of the Bush clan.

Slogun

"All Politics are local." Smith will go no where because his party will not support him. The Libertarian Party ( Smith sounds like a closet Libertarian ), the third largest in the USA, is building at the local and state level and in the future will contend for the national offices. But it will be a long steady commited struggle, not for summer soldiers. Check it out at www.lp.org, and see how much of its principles match your own.

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
Perhaps it is time for us to put our Second-Amendment ahead of our wish to inflict our innumerable and conflicting opinions on others.

No one can represent ANY of us exactly as we would wish. We will NEVER agree completely on birth control, abortion, religion, taxation, welfare, foreign aid, health-care, veterans' benefits, AIDS research, nuclear power, coal power, etc. etc.

(Among OURSELVES we can't even settle the big, slow bullet versus light, fast bullet controversy!)

Even if we found the "perfect" representative, our views on SOME issues may change from time to time.

Every time we, as RKBA advocates, fragment ourselves over other subjects, we weaken our RKBA position.

If we lose the rights our Second Amendment is supposed to confirm (NOT "establish"!), the other arguments become irrelevant - the decisions will be made "for" us and shoved down our throat.

If we keep the rights our Second Amendment is supposed to confirm, we just might be able to make our own personal decisions on other matters.

I hereby give notice. As of right now I am a one-issue voter! Period!

The lying oligarchy must be replaced with representatives who will preserve the Second Amendment. I hope this replacement process will be bloodless - a guarantee that can not be kept if we permit fragmentation of our RKBA efforts and facilitate our current inexorable slide into slavery.