Blue nose revolver?

38snapcaps

I was watching a 1951 crime drama today and twice I heard the police dispatcher say over the radio, "suspect is armed with a blue nose revolver".
It was very clear he did not say "snubnose".

Was this a common term back then for a snubbie, or did it mean something else?

RJay

Perhaps the firearm had a cold or just sinus problems? No need to make fun of the poor thing.:)

Archie

Blue nose...

Older slang for a rich person.

I suspect a 'Blue Nose Revolver' is the opposite of a 'Saturday Night Special'. Something very very and upper class. Arrest with great deference and don't offend them.

Or, probably it was supposed to read 'blue steel revolver'.

What was the movie, just for details?

38snapcaps

Was talking to a friend this morning, his answer is because there were nickle plated guns back then, the dispatcher used the term to identify a blued revolver.

Willie Lowman

They call it a "blue nose" revolver because it fires, what else? Blue nose bullets!

AmericanBluePitbull.jpg
The cylinder on that gun must be friggin' huge:p

mec

writer ignorance.

Likely. there was a comic relief sidekick back then that liked to say, " Well, I'll be a blue-nosed gopher!" Also the term "Blue Nose" refered to prudes and such people who objected to Zigfield and "September Morn."

Pahoo

Back in the day, when we crossed the Actic Circle, we became Blue-Nosed Sailors. What does this have to do with guns?? Ah, some of us were Gunner's Mates. :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

GHB-1886

Blue Nose Special No.2

The above title was apparently a model of revolver. IT is on a pocket pistol that belonged to my great grand father (approximately 1885 - 1930 era). My brother has the gun so I cannot identify company at this point but it was an old and US manufacturer. Pictures when he sends them.

GHB

I was going to say, GHB, I've heard of Blue Jacket on a revolver, but not blue nose.

The Blue Jacket belonged to a class of revolvers known derisively as "suicide specials."

Very cheaply made, very cheap to purchase, generally spur trigger single actions firing .22, .30, .32, or a very few I've seen, .38 rimfire rounds.

The Blue Jacket was a trade name used by Hopkins and Allen, IIRC.