blue dot with .357 help please

geo57

i;m seeking a 1050- 1150 fps load from a 4" .357 mag using alliant's BLUE DOT with a 158 gr. jhp. i have alliant data , but doubt the velocity they attain in their test bbls vs. production guns. please give me your charge, velocity, & bbl. length if you use this combo. thanks

C.R.Sam

You need to buy, beg, borrow or steal a chrono. Work up loads for YOUR gun.

Other peoples data may or may not have any bearing on results from your gun.

Sam

geo57

c r sam..i agree, i do need to BUY 1 ( wont do the other 3)..i realize others' results wont necessarily mirror mine, it was more of wanting of ballpark figures for a 90 % load with this recipe others got for my own curiosity

WESHOOT2

FOR 357 SPEED

I'll admit that I have never ever used Blue Dot in 357, and I just threw away a 26-yr old can of 2400.

For best results in 4" suggest W296, H110, 3N37, AA9.

Target Shooter

geo57,
Here's a load I've been shooting for several years out of my 686 with a 6" barrel.
I haven't chrony'd it but it should be right in the velocity range you are asking for.

WIN Brass
CCI-550 Primer
SPEER 158G HP Bullets
BLUE DOT / 10.4 grains
OAL 1.580

I've been shooting this load since 1988.
Of course, always check any reloading data with a current reloading book.

TS

geo57

target shooter, thank you not only for the info, but also for giving me something relevant to my post. i reloaded a cylinder;s worth of 10.5 of BLUE DOT under a rem. 158 gr. jhp. and tried em. medium recoil & blast, very accurrate and according to lyman it should be doing in the neighborhood of 1100 fps. would be nice if there was data for bulk rem. or win. bullets