Blue Dot used at low temperature

jsflagstad

I am in the process of reloading some of the Lee 12 Ga. slugs that I just cast, and I have started with Blue Dot as it was one of the listed powders in the load data that came with the mould. I have heard on this forum that Blue Dot does not perform very well when the temperature drops below 30 degrees F. With that said, these will be used for deer hunting and up here in MN 30 degrees and colder is usually the norm for the deer season. Does anyone have any insight on this? Should I seek a different powder? My gun is a fully rifled NEF single shot with a scope.

Thanks,

JSF:)

jsflagstad

Titewad??

I have some Titewad on hand as well, maybe I'll look to see if there is a recipe for that. It is quite a bit faster so less would be required, causing the need for a spacer to be installed.

JSF

snuffy

I'm doing research, hang on a sec.....---___ Whoa, just a darn minute, where do you see a blu-dot load?
My data sheet that came with my lee key slug mold, does not list blu-dot. ACC#5, Hodgdon universal, HS-6, and ACC#2 imp are all that are listed.

Now I've had this mold for------um maybe 5 years, could be mr. Lee came up with some new loads. I even looked in his "loading manual to end all loading manuals", he mentions the slug mold, why it's better than all others, then says follow the loading info included with the slug mold!!!!!!!!! Was he too lazy to look up that info, then include it in his super loading manual??? GRRRRR!

If you want those loads that are in my info sheet, PM me, I'll give them to you. Oh, which mold did you get, the 7/8 or the 1 OZ?

I also checked the slug loading manual put out by Ballistic Products, they don't mention the lee slugs in there either.

As far as blu-dot being tempermental in the cold, I've heard of it in reference to shot shell loads, most of it was caused by loading in hulls that had a soft crimp, or a loose wad. In other words, operator error!

jsflagstad

Yes, I guess when I heard of BD being tempermental in the cold, it was mentioned to be in shotshell and not metalic cartridges. But a slug is still a shotshell.

JSF

Poodleshooter

I've tried a Blue Dot recipe with Lee 1oz slugs.
IIRC,it was some ridiculously huge charge for a 12gauge load: 35+ grains or something like that,using a WAA12R wad.
I made the mistake of trying it with a Win 209 primer rather than the CCI 209M in the data,thinking I could get away with a cooler primer. I shot it on a cold,snowy day at the range. I ended up with a bore full of partially burned blue dot,and miraculously enough a slug poking just out of the end of the barrel. It was actually still encased in the wad and was about 1/2" out of the barrel.
I switched to Unique and Green Dot,accepting lower velocity promises for better,cleaner ignition with standard components.
I'd recommend that you ditch it unless you use CCI209Ms for every load.