Blown Guns During SASS Matches

AmmunitionDepot

Yeah i've been to matches where guys have shot into a squib and the pressure of the rounds are so low they either stack up (if they are both light or no charge) or it'll push the squib projectile out without blowing the barrel.

Mal H

Staff
A chain fire in any lever action rifle, like a Henry, occurs when one or more of the rounds in the tubular magazine fire off when recoil causes the nose of a bullet to ignite the primer in the round ahead of it. It is extremely rare to non-existent if you use the right bullet for the rounds, namely, flat nosed bullets. Use a spire point bullet and all bets are off. It would still be a rare event because it's not that easy to set off a primer with the relatively slow speed inherent in a recoil event. With the rounds touching, and no space for the rearward bullet to jump into the primer, it makes it even harder to ignite.

Mike38

Thanks for the clarification Mal H. I guess now that I read your reply, I know that pointed bullets in a tube fed centerfire rifle can be a bad combination. .

Savvy_Jack

The Henry chain fire typically results when the shooter inadvertently releases the cartridge-follower after only loading a few cartridges and it slams into the cartridges igniting the primer on one or more.
The link I posted in the OP shows such incidences and a few are explained there.

T. O'Heir

"..."Henry rifle chain fire"..." Yep, caused by using the wrong type of bullet or failing to crimp correctly. Isn't a 'Henry' thing though. Applies to all lever actions. And some RN's are small enough to make contact with the primers.
"...quite a few light load squibs..." Yep. Game players trying to get the recoil down as low as possible so the muzzle jump is also low.

Road_Clam

Mal H said:
A chain fire in any lever action rifle, like a Henry, occurs when one or more of the rounds in the tubular magazine fire off when recoil causes the nose of a bullet to ignite the primer in the round ahead of it. It is extremely rare to non-existent if you use the right bullet for the rounds, namely, flat nosed bullets. Use a spire point bullet and all bets are off. It would still be a rare event because it's not that easy to set off a primer with the relatively slow speed inherent in a recoil event. With the rounds touching, and no space for the rearward bullet to jump into the primer, it makes it even harder to ignite.

Thanks for sharing your lever expertise, I NEVER would have though of this potential occurance ! Good thing for me is I have about 1400 Laser Cast 170 gr RNFP's for shooting 30-30 lever and 308 subsonic. Looks like i'll be fine.