Blog article about visiting Buds Gunshop

KyJim

I was catching up on some reading and found a blog entry from a couple of weeks ago from The Firearms Blog about Bud's Gunshop. I thought some of you all might be interested in the physical facilities here in Lexington, Ky. Please note that I am not affiliated with Buds and I am not friends with anyone from Bud's. Just thought I would pass this along. One correction to the author's blog: Kentucky sales tax is six percent, not seven percent.

If I'm not mistaken, there is or was a posting on the door about not taking photos. That's one reason I thought the article might be of interest.

I'm local and have bought from them both by physically going to the store to pick out a gun and by ordering through the website and picking the gun up at the store. I've also used them a couple of times when buying from an out-of-state seller. I've used their range a couple of times but usually go to a private club to shoot.

Last edited by a moderator:

LockedBreech

Bud's is pretty much my sole purchase location anymore. I've had 11 perfect purchases to-date and I don't have to deal with gun store people.

Machineguntony

When it comes to buying guns, it is tough to beat Buds guns prices. The have a huge advantage over local B&M sellers: they don't charge sales taxes, if out of state. Just that alone puts them at least at 8.25% cheaper, which is the sales tax in Austin, Texas.

Secondly, all their guns, that I have seen, are below retail.

Thirdly they offer free shipping on almost all their guns. Gunbroker would be cheaper sometimes, but almost all sellers on gunbroker charge about $25-50 shipping and insurance, so you have to figure this in. Both Gunbroker and Buds will usually cost you about $10-$15 as part of your final cost, as that is the receiving dealer charge.

When I decide to buy a gun, I will window shop and handle the gun at the local Gander Mountain, then go home and buy it from Buds or Gunbroker. 75% of the time, Buds is cheaper than Gunbroker, after you figure in final costs.

Gander Mountain is the only retailer, I can think of, that sells above retail, which tells me that their demographic is the totally inexperienced buyer. Gander Mountain prices are outright insulting, and the store is empty every time I go there to showroom a gun. END GANDER RANT.

I've figured out a way to optimally use Buds 'Make an Offer'. Select a gun, then for the first offer enter $1 (allowed 5 then site won't accept more offers). The site will then show the lowest price that Buds is willing to sell. If the price is too high, but not low enough, then the site will not show you the bottom sales price. You may wind up paying more than the bottom price. Use three of the four remaining bids to test if the suggested bud amount really is the lowest. If you really want the gun, use the suggest bid as the fifth bid. Typically, the bottom price is about 1.5% lower than the sales price that is prominently displayed. For example. The Beretta 92FS shows a buy price of $548. The site will sell for a negotiated price of $541.

Many people do not like haggling, so they just hit 'buy'.

The downside to Buds is that they take a while to verify payment and actually ship the gun. From the moment you hit buy to actually having the gun, in hand, is about 2-3 weeks.

Rmart30

The only thing I dont like about buds is that some of the guns they show "in stock" are not actually in their possession.
I found that out a few years back on a long gun.
Handguns ive ordered from them have almost all been at the FFL within 2 days.

I have done a bit of business with Buds. They are good for retail generally available guns.
So if it is one I can buy anywhere, Buds is usually a better deal.
This last gun I tried their LayAWay plan. I was kinda wanting a Rossi Wizard in 45-70 and they had one available.
All went well and was nice not stinging my CC.
I would in fact use their LayAWay very often if they had better choices.

I order on Gun broker quite often. Usually used guns in the Caliber and model I cant find local. Example was a Smith & Wesson Model 14. If Buds has one they are usually over priced.
Plus GB has much wider options for LayAWay depending on the seller.

Best bet is to keep all options on the table.
Gander Mtn is ok when you happen in at the right time. Used guns on the right day can find a bargin. 98% of the time no... 2% ohhh man look what I found... Last cheap gets from Gander for me was a mag for my Taurus for one whole dollar. and a Bushnell Banner 1.5 -4 scope for my Sons 30-30 $10.
timing is every thing. The Manager has no real idea what he has and when its time to clean it out. It gets cleaned out.

KyJim

I have to agree they have good prices for new guns. Used guns, not so much, IMO. They do have a larger selection of used guns in the local store than they list online.

Don P

I'm waiting on a delivery from Buds to my local GS. UPS has a sense of humor about there second day air shipping. Gun left Bud's on Friday 4/3 and will be delivered today 4/7 here in FLA. A touch more than 2 days. Guess when its on them, and THEIR CHOICE its OK to have a handgun in their system for 5 days. It was great doing business with Bud's. Come on UPS:rolleyes:
Gun was delivered at 11:49am today

Evan Thomas

Actually, they have no sense of humor at all. Their terms specify delivery by the end of the second business day -- which would be today. :)

Kreyzhorse

I'm 80 miles north of Bud's and it's well worth the drive. Great selection and very good prices. Pretty helpful staff but damn that place gets busy.

I've bought guns there as well as several buddies and have never heard a single complaint.

g.willikers

Now you tell me. :eek:
We used to drive close by Lexington all the time, once upon a time.
But I had never even heard of Buds until we moved clear out of that part of the country.
Oh well, I'll just have to find solace in thinking of all the money I saved.

ky wildcat

i live in KY

And go to buds once in a while. Buds is the walmart of guns. usually cheaper, but my 8 year old grand daughter knows more about guns then 95% of the people that work there

LockedBreech

The downside to Buds is that they take a while to verify payment and actually ship the gun. From the moment you hit buy to actually having the gun, in hand, is about 2-3 weeks.

Weird, of my 11 orders, the longest one took a week. Usually 3-5 days.

Don P

I ordered my gun on March 23 and received it on April 8. 17 days for payments to clear and shipping over the Easter weekend isn't all that bad. I understand Bud's wanting to make sure that payment is verified and in their bank before shipping firearms. To speed things up one can always overnight a certified check which should cut a bunch of time of the transaction. I have no complaints with Bud's on my purchase.
Just for info, I used the layaway plan and made the second payment 5 days after the deposit. Had I paid in full 7 days or so would cut off the time I stated. So I had 2 payments that had to be verified

Last edited: