Blast From the Past: Charter Arms ‘Undercover’ .38 Special

Sarge

I scarfed up an old 1960's Charter Undercover .38 last Friday. Please excuse the poor photography. Time and weather have been uncooperative.

CharterUC.jpg

It has the Bridgeport address which, according to some sources, indicates 1960’s production. I count this as a plus. I've had a couple of .44 Bulldogs over the years, both Bridgeport guns and both excellent in every respect. The second one was utterly dead-nuts on the money at 25 yards with Federal's 200 grain .44 Special lead hollowpoint load. My general opinion of the little guns has been this- Given a choice between a Charter and Chief's Special, I'd take the S&W every time; but the Charters were 'good enough' and a lot of gun for the money. Charter has also consistently offered guns not available elsewhere, like their .44 snubs, and continued to undersell the competition.

I dug out some primed .38 brass and loaded about up 30 rounds, with Hornady’s 158 grain swaged SWC and 3.4 grains of W231. I shot ten of them at 25 yards and I suspect the soft bullets and shallow rifling were a poor match. While I got a few keyholes--and a few high-left flyers--I won't have any trouble qualifying at 25 yards with it. As is, it still shoots well enough to put a hurtin' on Joe Felon at 25 steps.

Smaller holes are from a snake load at about ten feet.

CharterUCtgt25.jpg

Later, I loaded a few 158 grain jacketed HP's over the same charge of W231 I used with the soft lead bullets; the 'keyholing' disappeared and five shot groups are just under four inches. This is shooting two-hand unsupported at 25 yards. I reckon that is good enough given the application.

If a DA revolver is going to exhibit light strikes, lead-spitting etc. they will generally do it when run hard in double action. So I ripped off a few five shot strings from the hip, as fast as I could. Primer hits remained good & deep. The little gun points well and it was no work at all to stitch-up torso-sized targets at 5 yards.

The little .38 needs only minor improvements. It shoots two to three inches left at 25 yards, but the front sight is plenty fat enough to shave 0.030" off the right side and that should pretty near correct it. Why, you might ask, even worry about it? Because pistol bullets aren't magic and they need to go in the right spot to work. Heck, I might even want to shoot a groundhog or bucktooth little garden thief with it. If you own a gun it ought to be zeroed.

It also needs some grips. I'd forgotten how poorly Charter's 70-era wood combat grips fit my hand- and that the damn things loosen up in about 25 rounds. It looks like current choices are Pachmayr Compacs or Charter's current 'boot' grip.

This will make a useful addition and it goes to work real soon.

Ozzieman

Great little guns. I bought one for my mother back in the late 70’s and she couldn’t shot it.
Put Pachmayr’s on it and she really enjoyed the gun. The problem with the original grips was that they were just too wide and hard. The Pachmayr’s were softer and narrower.
She passed away a number of years ago and its back in my collection. I wanted my only brother to have it but,,,,, Guns are EVIL!:rolleyes:
It’s now my wife’s bedside gun.

Last edited:

Sarge

Thanks, Ozzieman. I'm looking hard at the Pacs and your pic answered questions without a lot of googling.

Coastal

Sarge, your Bridgeport looks better than mine but mine has bee a faithful companion over the years. I wouldn't take anything for it.

Snubbie.jpg

Southern Rebel

Yep, the Undercover Charter Arms was the first pistol I owned (and still have it). I bought it used for $50 back in the 70's - probably hadn't been shot more than a dozen times.

I also have to admit to having carried it illegally at that time. Most of the states at that time didn't see the need for an individual to take responsibility for his or her own protection. Now that most of the states somewhat abide by the constitution, I generally abide by their laws - they have made an honest man out of me! :)

zombie44

I just picked one up a couple days ago!

ca38-1.jpg

ca38-2.jpg

ca38-3.jpg

It's my very first Charter Arms and I had no idea they made revolvers that looked this nice. Most of the ones I've seen had a matte SS look. Also it doesn't seem much bigger or heavier than my S&W mod 36, plus it holds an extra round :eek: Can't wait to try it out at the range!

CajunBass

Here's mine. It's a Stratford gun, so it's not as old as yours is. Those little wooden grips are painful to shoot. I replaced them with a set of the current Charter Arms grips.

100_0174.jpg

Cemo

Nice looking guns, brings back memories. I bought a couple of these in the early 70's and enjoyed them very much. One had a short barrel and the other had one a little longer, maybe 2-1/2" or possilbly 3". I was able to hit very well with them. I saw all the hype about the SuperVel ammo in the gun mags during the time and not knowing any better I switched over to that load. The SuperVel's destroyed the guns, stretched the heck out of them. I blamed it on the quality of the guns at the time, but later realized the SuperVel ammo had way too much pressure. Probably a +P+P+P+ if there is such a rating, lol. I still have a bunch of the SuperVel stamped nickel brass that I use in my reloads. I remember the Charters were very light in weight, small and a jewel to carry. I moved on the S&W J frames, but always wondered how the newer versions of the little Charters performed. Be sure to stick with standard ammo.

franco45

I sold an Undercover just like yours to a friend's wife last week Sarge. I immediately missed it and bought a new Undercover. I must admit the modern rubber grips are great. They fit my large hands well and absorb a lot of recoil