Blank firing revolvers

I remember reading several years ago that one (or both) of the Italian SAA clone makers had brought out a blank-firing version, intended for allowing (IIRC) quick draw competitors to practice with a gun that was the same as their real firearm but wouldn't allow for mistakenly loading a live round.

I was looking for something else, but I just stumbled across this on the Pietta web site: http://piettausa.com/1873-Blank-Firing-Revolver-380-475-_p_862.html

It appears to have a standard base pin latch. The description says the cylinder is non-removable. Does anyone know what makes it non removable?

DaleA

Hmmm...seems like that would make cleaning it more difficult for no good reason I can see. Plus I would think they'd need a different design and manufacturing than their regular revolvers...I must be missing the reason that a non-removable cylinder is a good thing for a blank firing gun. I'd guess that it somehow might be so a "real" cylinder that would take "live" ammo could not be inserted into the gun but this is an ill-informed guess with no real knowledge to back it up.

T. O'Heir

Don't quick draw competitors use wax bullets?
What do you suppose a ".380 caliber blank" is?
On a regular SAA, there is a spring-loaded button on the front of the frame that holds the cylinder rod in place. (On some models this will just be a screw that needs to be removed.) I'd be thinking there's no button or screw.

T. O'Heir said:
Don't quick draw competitors use wax bullets?
Yes. But those aren't blanks, and the guns aren't blank guns with plugged barrels.

What do you suppose a ".380 caliber blank" is?
Probably a .380 caliber blank. https://www.replicagunsdirect.com/c...-firing-cartridges-sold-as-box-of-50-480.html

On a regular SAA, there is a spring-loaded button on the front of the frame that holds the cylinder rod in place. (On some models this will just be a screw that needs to be removed.) I'd be thinking there's no button or screw.
The photo shows a base pin latch button. No way to know from the photo if it's active.

Last edited:

Bob Wright

Some older quick-draw clubs did fire blanks, the sound of the blank firing activated the timer, and no target had to be hit.

From looking at the photo, I'm guessing the base pin might be plug welded from the rear under the hammer. Just a guess......

Bob Wright

SIGSHR

Years ago I saw a blank firing revolver in an H&R catalog, the barrel was solid. Years ago a fellow GI told me that movie guns had sleeves in the barrels to prevent firing live ammo.

Bob Wright

There are two methods of firing blanks for stage/screen/TV usage.

The movies use actual firearms but fire blank cartridges, usually with reduced charges to reduce the sound of firing. The report is dubbed in later. This to prevent damage to the actor's hearing, as well as the horses. The guns and ammunition are very strictly monitored by the property master.

Blank firing revolvers, used for stage performances or as starter guns, usually have a solid barrel with the breech end cone shaped to disperse the shattered debris of the closure wad.

Magazine fed, or belt fed, arms usually have some type of plug that will not allow a loaded, bulleted round to be chambered. Automatic and semi-automatic firearms usually have some type of barrel restriction to generate pressure to activate the action.

For location shooting, some local ordinances require more drastic de-activation of the firearm for use in gun restricted locales.

Whatever blank firing device is used, the property master must insure that a loaded bulleted round cannot be loaded and fired. If so, he must maintain strict control over that firearm at all times.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

I have to share this:

I have been the "armorer" for several stage plays. We had a little .22 caliber blank firing revolver. It was rather worn, and when the hammer was cocked, the cylinder flew out the right side of the revolver. So, my Uberti Stallion .22 was used. Believe me, I kept the gun and blank cartridges strictly under my control until the scene called for the shooting, then retrieved it as soon after the scene ended.

This for a church play, or cantata, incidentally.

Bob Wright

T. O'Heir

"...The report is dubbed in later..." Yep. Did some movie gun work years ago. One of their guys said the movie types don't think real gun shots or blanks sound real enough.
It was a blank that killed Brandon Lee and Jon-Erik Hexum.

Jim Watson

Here are some other .380 blanks. They are a rimmed case made for the purpose, not a .380 ACP blank.
https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/Blank-Ammo-for-Blank-Firing-Replicas-c262.htm

It was a blank that killed Brandon Lee and Jon-Erik Hexum.

Yes, but Brandon Lee was unlucky. The bullet from a dummy, used to make it appear the revolver was loaded, stuck in the chamber and was driven out by a blank loaded for the shooting scene. So he was actually shot by the other actor.

Jon Erik Hexum was stupid, held a blank loaded gun to his head and pulled the trigger.

Last edited: