Blackpowder/Smokeless Powder Barrel Differences

Redlg155

I happen to be looking at new BP rifles today and noticed that the barrels seem to be a lot thicker than those designed for smokeless powder shooting.

Is there a difference in the type of steel used for the barrel types, or is it just tradition that makes the BP rifles so heavy?

I'm sure they could make a lighter weight barrel to contain the pressures of BP shooting, or even a sleeved Carbon Fiber barrel. I believe Savage even has a BP/Smokeless powder muzzle loader on the market..but alas..still the heavy barrel.

I could see a real use for "featherweight" BP rifle. Perhaps there is one on the market already and I missed it.

Good Shooting
RED

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
With today's industrial processes, I doubt that the cost difference for a milder steel which meets BP pressure requirements is much cheaper than "good" steel for SP pressures. So, I'd vote for "tradition". By and large, BP shooters and hunters are indeed traditionalists.

I'll stick a "maybe" in here: The lock time for BP is slower, so you gotta be able to hold the sights on target a smidgin longer. This is easier with a bit of a muzzle-heavy rifle.

I have an old .22 Schuetzen rifle. That 30" barrel just sorta hangs there. It's a whole different deal for offhand shooting than a Ruger 10/22, which feels better for snap shots.

Art

Poodleshooter

I'll stick a "maybe" in here: The lock time for BP is slower, so you gotta be able to hold the sights on target a smidgin longer. This is easier with a bit of a muzzle-heavy rifle.
I'll go ahead and stick a "confirmed" on that. Also, muzzleloaders are built to deal with user stupidity including short loaded projectiles, which simulate an obstruction in the barrel (KABOOM!) Thicker barrels help with this, as well as lending a balance that sets well in the forward hand while aiming.