Blackpowder shotshell info needed for old 12 guage

DG45

I own a Forehand Arms single-barrel shotgun. I'm not sure what date it was manufactured, but it was probably made around 1900. The patent date is on the receiver and it's Feby 4, 1896 (or 1898; I can't make out whether the last digit is a 6 or an 8.) I'm thinking that I heard somewhere that this was the first break-barrel shotgun with a shell ejector, but don't know if thats true. (That ejector still throws shells out of there like a champ, too.)

About 20 years ago, a gunsmith told me hat the barrel isn't Damascus steel. He said he could see the mill marks on the barrel, but I'm not sure. I really want to shoot this old gun. It's still tight as a tick, probably thanks to a second lock on the receiver.

I want to buy paper-hulled black powder shells but can't find anyone who manufactures them. As my fallback position, I've considered buying brass shotshell hulls and loading them myself with black powder. ("Bold talk from a one-eyed fat man". I've never handloaded anything in my life.)

I don't know what length manufactured shells to buy, or what length brass hulls to buy because I can't determine whether there is a specific length chamber in this single barrel gun or not; there's no obvious difference that I can see inside the barrel that would indicate that part was a chamber that was in some way different from the barrel. I can't feel any kind of ledge that would indicate the end of a chamber, and the shells appear to be held in place only by the rim of the shell. When I look inside the barrel from either end, it all looks like a smoothbore shotgun barrel to me. So, I guess crimped 2 3/4 inch manufactured black powder shells would work as well as anything, they would be approximately 2 1/2 inches long after crimping, and I guess that uncrimped 2 1/2 inch brass shell hulls that I handloaded myself would work too. (I've heard that I can't - or I shouldn't- crimp a brass shotshell, but should seal them with a cardboard wad with glue.)

Any suggestions on where to buy blackpowder shotshells? Anybody want to critique my plans for this gun? Anybody know anything about whether there is a chamber in a single barrel shotgun that is somehow different than the rest of the barrel? the size shells I mentioned work.

B.L.E.

When loading black powder shells, a good rule of thumb is to use the same volume of powder as shot. A lot of muzzleloaders use the same dipper to measure both powder and shot.

My 12 gauge BP shotshell recipe is 70 grains FFg, nitro card + fiber cushion wad, 1 1/8 ounce shot in either a Win AA or Remington STS hull.

If it's a single shot, you can always just use an overshot card wad instead of crimping, that way you can reload with primitive equipment, a nail to punch out the old primer, a flat surface and a wooden dowel to seat a new primer and to use as a ramrod to seat the wads.

Circle Fly is a good source of old fashioned card and cushion wads.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
No clue about where to buy loaded shells or the components... But I know those in the know will suggest you get the chamber measured to know what length you have. The brass hull will slightly mitigate the risks as it doesn't have a crimp section to worry about.

The brass idea is pretty good... Rolling your own will be pretty straight forward and simple I bet... I don't know if a reloader is even needed... Might be simple enuff to do with your 2 hands and a couple simple hand tools... I know I would sure attempt it:eek: But I "ain't the brightest knife on the tree in the shed":D
Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Took too long to reply.
Looks like BLE just told me I need to roll my own BP shells for my mossberg:eek::rolleyes: Me gonna have to ponder my options a bit...
Brent

darkgael

New shells

I bought used Federal paper hulls on Ebay some years ago - about 1000 - many were not usable but many were and they have served me well over the ensuing years. My load is very much like that cited by BLE.
Paper hulls work better in the long run than plastic. BP is not kind to plastic hulls.
Reloading components for BP shotshells can be had from Circle Fly as already noted and also from Ballistic Products Inc.
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/
BPI publishes several pamphlets related to BP shotgun and shotshell loading.
Brass hulls - the most common are the drawn brass hulls from CBC/Magtech. They are good hulls but require 11 gauge components. Affordable.
The best brass hulls are lathe turned beauties made by Rocky Mt. Cartridge Co. Expensive but worth every penny. Take care of them and you can leave them to your children. They use regular 12 gauge components and can be loaded with either BP or smokeless. They are what I use in an old Parker that I have.
http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/

Pete

Last edited:

jrothWA

Haw far are you from a Cabela's store???

Reason I ask is they in the stores carry "GOEX" blackpowder shells, Thanks to the CSA bunch. Check their catalog too!

Order a "Dixie Gunworks catalog, they have old load data in the back pages,
Try "Ballistic Products, Inc _BPI" they might have a special load manual for reloading blackpowder.

Hogdon's has loads for Pyrodex, too.

oneounceload

First thing is to really determine if the barrel is Damascus or not. Even then, caution is the word for the day. If this gun has been shot previously with BP, then there might be corrosion as BP is very corrosive. There are many Damascus barrel guns being shot today with very low pressure loads in smokeless form as well as with BP. Polywad, RSt and others make smokeless low-pressure "vintager" loads for old guns. BP loads in brass shells may have to be checked for pressures to make sure they are safe for your gun