blackpowder loads for .45 inlines?

buymore

I just got a .45 cal inline and need some info on what standard loads you .45 shooters use. I currently own two other ML (both .50 cal inlines, but bought the .45 cal for my youngest sone to use. In my .50 Encore I usually use 240 grn .44 Hornady XTP's with 90 grns of 777 powder. I know the whole "bad" story on the Traditions inlines and such, but let's face it......I'm talking maybe 60-65 grains at most is all I'll load in this thing. I got Hornady ST sabots 200 grn for it, can anyone give me any loads that are working for them? I may even start out at 50 grns and see how it groups. Only be shootign around 75 yds max anyways. I don't want to hear the stories about my "junk" gun....just info from guys shooting .45 cal inlines. Thanks

arcticap

Someone on another forum mentioned how he usually loads 110 grains of 777 with 180 grain bullets, and sometimes loads even more 777 powder.
And other .45 shooters have mentioned how much faster that they can push their new style .45 bullets like the Leigh to almost 30-06 velocities at about ~2600 fps. That's faster than the .50 with similar charges can produce enabling the .45's to shoot flatter and reach out further with lighter, high performance bullets.
That's what hunters see as giving the .45 an advantage over the .50.
It might not be typical for .45 target shooters but that what the hunters are doing with their .45's to reach out to 200 yards with hotter bullets.
Come to think of it the .45 barrels would be a little thicker and heavier compared to a .50 barrel of the same diameter, so I would guess that many .45's are also rated for magnum loadings.

buymore

I'm not into the "magnum" loads, even in my Encore. When I get unburned powder on the ground with 95 grains of 777, well what's the point? More $$ in powder just to kick my A$$ more? If the powder is laying in front of you on the snow....it aint burning! It may not be much at 95 grsn, but at 100 grns there's alot of it! I've tried "hotter" primers and it doesn't matter. I have a 26" bbl on my Encore, so maybe in a 28" bbl I'd get slightly more burn, but not 150 grns worth.

I picked up this Traditions Evolution LD BRAND NEW in the box for $106.50 out the door from a dealer (hence the $6.50...tax on $100) It has the 26" blued fluted barrel, ported with tru-glo fiber optic sights. It's not a break action, but it is the closed bolt style (like a modern bolt action rifle) so the caps can't fall out while walking around or if you lean your gun against a tree! I did find some loads guys use in the 65-70 grain with the same bullets I'll be loading for him, so Imay just try that range first......65 grains. We'll see how it groups. I'll only have him shoot 75 yds max anyways. It should have enough energy at that distance with that load. Thanks for you time

buymore

Thanks.....so the 60 gr range will probably work. Getting ready to head to the range right now to try it out. Will post my results.

buymore

I used 60 grns 777 with 200 SST sabots and it was great. Still had some recoil even with just 60 grns and the barrel being ported. Very nice tigth groups right away, will keep with this load for now. thanks