'Blacking-out' serial # on photos?

steve1147

This may be a naive question on my part, but I've noticed some posters will pixelate or otherwise obscure the serial numbers on pics they post of their firearms. Is this common sense, government paranoia, or something else?
Just wondering if it's something I should do if I post pics.
Thanks! Steve W.

Pond James Pond

My guess is that it is so miscreants can't duplicate your firearm number on a gun that might be then used nefariously!!

Certainly, I've always partially pixilated images with my bike's number plate on it as there have been cases of them being duplicated for bikes used in robberies.

Other than that, I'm also curious to know!!

buck460XVR

It could be because they know the guns are stolen and don't want the legal owner to know they have it. Or they could just be paranoid. You do what you feel comfortable with. Same with the blacking out of license plate numbers. One drives their car around the country on public roads with plates exposed for all to see, but when they post a picture of the same vehicle on the internet they feel a need to blur them out. It's really a non-issue, but again, I suggest folks do what makes them comfortable.

nate45

It could be because they know the guns are stolen and don't want the legal owner to know they have it.

Lets say you buy a used firearm from a reputable dealer. However, unbeknownst to you, years ago it was stolen. In those years it might have changed hands several times. Now, lets say someone sees your firearm on the internet, says to themselves that looks just like the one I, or grandpa, or whomever had stolen. Now they compare the serial number, to their records and old police report and they try and track you down.

Now you say, well, I don't want a stolen firearm, I didn't steal it and want to help them. Thats nice, you are know you are out the purchase price. Thats right, the last person holding the stolen merchandise is SOL. Not legally, perhaps, but monetarily.

noelf2

That's been discussed many times on this forum. Some do, some don't. I say "better safe than sorry".

alloy

Because I once looked thru the Google Images of Bad Tattoo.
Post whatever you want, someone will find a good use for it in a couple of years.

SmokeyVol

Paranoia in my opinion. Has to do with anyone knowing that you own a gun, especially the government at any level, and especially a particular gun as in a particular serial number.

hermannr

The people I know that blank out the serial number when they take a photo of a number do not want someone who is less than honest to report SN XXXX as a stolen weapon, and then claim it is theirs.

Chris_B

Everything you do, say, or display online is there pretty much forever, and you don't control it once it's on the internet

K_Mac

Lets say you buy a used firearm from a reputable dealer. However, unbeknownst to you, years ago it was stolen. In those years it might have changed hands several times. Now, lets say someone sees your firearm on the internet, says to themselves that looks just like the one I, or grandpa, or whomever had stolen. Now they compare the serial number, to their records and old police report and they try and track you down.

Now you say, well, I don't want a stolen firearm, I didn't steal it and want to help them. Thats nice, you are know you are out the purchase price. Thats right, the last person holding the stolen merchandise is SOL. Not legally, perhaps, but monetarily.

I would not want your grandpa's stolen gun. If I bought a gun used, in good faith, and then found out it was stolen I would be culpable if I kept it. That may be the chance you take when buying used if you don't know the history. It doesn't change the fact that a stolen gun is not yours-even if you paid good money for it; not legally, monetarily, or morally. I think that is a poor justification for not posting a picture. On the other hand, I think P,JPond makes a good point. A legitimate serial number could have value in the hands of a "miscreant" (great word-here in the States we would more likely use a profane expletive:D).

It's easier than making a tin foil hat.
No kidding. I can never get the back part to fold around just right, and the darn thing's always slipping.

Actually, I do the same thing with pictures of my guns. I can't really give a logical reason; I just feel better doing it.