Blackhawk with aluminum grip frame...?

Stargazer

How does the aluminum grip frame hold up on these? Do they come shiny aluminum or is this piece "blackened"? Will these New Models handle hot loads in 45 LC? Any quirks to keep an eye out for?

Thanks for any input, first SA I have ever owned.

stinger

The blued Blackhawks do have aluminum frames, while the stainless are steel frames. Either will take the handle the heavy 45 Colt loads. I've never seen a blued New Model Blackhawk that did not have an aluminum frame. I'm not sure about the old models, though.

Hafoc

Here's an article about Ruger grip frames:

http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

In short, a lot of the earlier Blackhawks had aluminum grip frames. In addition, I believe they had aluminum ejector housings. I don't know what, if anything, was aluminum.

The aluminum parts were anodized black, so they weren't obvious. I've read rumors of them breaking if dropped on a hard surface, but I've never seen anything like that, or heard anyone who was first-hand say it had happened to them.

I believe the stainless models always used steel grip frames. It looks like Ruger's gone to steel on most if not all the blued ones by now.

Laz

I believe that currently, blued Blackhawks have aluminum frames on regular Blackhawks in .357 and .45 and in the convertibles. Super Blackhawks have steel frames. The 50th Anniversary editions in .44 Mag and .357 both have steel frames though they are blued. Blued Vaqueros have always had steel frames. Stainless Blackhawks have steel frames.

Stargazer

To all and especially Hafoc, thanks, that was all the information about Ruger grip frames anyone would ever need! Thanks again to all who responded.