Blackhawk vs Vaquero vs Bisley

XD Gunner

Looking at each in .45 Colt. Want the most authentic (looking) piece I can get, however, I want the gun to be able to handle the hottest .45 Colt loads out there (Buffalo Bore?) Which of the three would you folks recommend?

Thanks!

Jim March

Well Ruger's "Bisley" isn't authentic at all. If anything it's grip frame is a variant on a 1920's-era custom Colt SAA known as the "#5".

The "New Vaquero" is the most authentic, but can't handle the monster 45LC+Ps. The "Original Vaquero" looks pretty authentic but is oversize in all dimensions, built on a 44Mag-class frame. BUT, in the holster, most people wouldn't spot the difference...even somebody who knows SAs in detail would have to look twice.

Now with all that said, the "Bisley Vaquero" is a mix of the classic-type frame with Ruger's Bisley grip frame, hammer and trigger. Ruger's Bisley isn't 100% authentic but it's well regarded for controlling big power. And if big power is where you're headed, you might want to compromise on authenticity. I can tell you that to people only moderately familiar with old west guns, the "BisVaq" is going to look pretty damned "cowboy".

To a purist though, not so much.

laytonj1

Most authentic would be the "new" Vaquero but it is built on a smaller frame and will not handle the hottest 45 loads. You could find an older Vaquero on the larger frame.
For hottest loads and best grip for handling the hotter loads I'd go with the Bisley.

Jim

Edit: I see Jim M. beat me to it and gave a more detailed response.

XD Gunner

I would rather have the potential for +P loads more than authenticity, however, I would like it to appear authentic. From what you folks have said, I need to look into getting a Bisley Vaquero it seems. Are the new ones as strong as the old ones, or has the design even been changed?

Jim March

Ah. Yeah, there's now "Bisley New Vaqueros" that are built on the smaller frame. What you want is the Bisley OLD Vaquero built on the large frame. No longer in production but, quite a few were made. And being as close to indestructible as a gun gets, it's pretty safe to shop used.

BlkHawk73

• Blackhawks, Super BH's and Bisleys use the same large frame cylinder and cylinder frame.
• Vaqueros and Bisley Vaqueros use the same large frame cylinder and cylinder frame.
• New Vaqueros and flattop BH's use a smaller mid-size cylinder and cylinder frame.

The large framed models can handle the "Ruger only" loads while the mid-frame model cannot. For many, the Bisley configuration makes for more comfortable shooting of the heavy loads. Grip frames can be interchanged among them anyways.

Slopemeno

I love my Bisley old/large (seriously..we need to come to some sort of rational way of expressing which Ruger we're referring to) Vaquero. It handles great, and .45 Colt recoils very little, and straight back. I had mine shortened to 5.5" and it's a perfect holster gun.

Pathfinder45

Vaquero

I have the original Vaquero .45 Colt. I have run some really powerful handloads using W-296 powder, but not a great many. I'm pretty comfortable with 255 grain bullets up to 1200 fps. But the really hot loads sting my hands after a couple of cylinders and then there is a tendency to develop a flinch. most of my ammo is running 1000-1100 fps with cast 255 grain bullets. My lightest load that I shoot a fair amout of runs 840 fps with the same bullet.

Chesster

I put a Bisley frame on a Blackhawk .45 short bbl to use for heavy (300+ gr) hot loads. The Bisley grip frame is certainly an asset with the heavy loads.

CraigC

The Bisley grip is definitely the way to go for recoil management but you'll really appreciate adjustable sights. The fixed sight guns are okay if you plan on using a single load but when you mix and match, you're gonna be all over the place. The point of impact can shift several inches with significant changes in bullet weight and/or velocity. Not to even mention the drastic improvement adjustable sights offer in sight picture quality.

rclark

I have two .45s... A Vaquero and Blackhawk. Both will handle the Ruger Only loads. There is no SAMMI +P standard in .45 Colt BTW that I know of .... As for authentic, the Vaquero or New Vaquero would 'pass' that test.... Well, close anyway.... If you are going to be using different loads, the BH or Bisley with adjustable sights is the way to go.... I like to shoot only one load in my fixed sight Vaquero because then I know exactly where it is going to shoot without having to 'think' about it.

Attachments

• My45sGripsSandedandFitted.jpg
    My45sGripsSandedandFitted.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 54