Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk?

CZ_

I have wanted a single action revolver for a long time, and I am going to get one soon. I can't decide if I should get the .357 magnum Blackhawk or the .44 magnum Super Blackhawk.

I like the extra power of the Super BH, but I hear that its recoil is much worse than most .44 magnums.

I am quite use to shooting .357 magnum revolvers, and their recoil does not bother me one bit. Right now, I am leaning towards the .357 magnum Blackhawk. I would appreciate any comments on either gun from owners.

BTW...is there any difference between the BH and SBH other than caliber?

CZ, I own both along with a couple other blackhawks. I would certainly not say that the SBH has recoil any worse than any other handgun of the same caliber. I own a couple different brands of .44 mag and have fired a couple others. I have fired my SBH with everything from .44 Special loads with cast lead bullets up to and including 300 grain bullets at beyond load manual max charges. My SBH is a 7 1/2" stainless model. My .357 Blackhawk is a blue model with a 6 1/2" barrel. It is a convertible model meaning that it also comes with a 9mm cylinder. I am not completely sure of the differences between the two guns. I THINK that they are on two different frames. The stainless model has a steel ejector rod housing and grip frame where the blued blackhawk has an alluminum grip frame and ejector rod housing. Both are great guns. I consider the SBH 7 1/2" one of the foundation cornerstones of any gun collection. If I could only have one, I think it would be the SBH although I hate to even think about losing either one.

Dan in GA

CZ,

Have you given any thought to the Blackhawk in .45 Long Colt? I have the convertible model Blackhawk in .45LC/.45ACP and everyone that's handled it has been surprised at what a joy it is to fire. The design of the frame/grips does an excellent job of recoil management in this caliber. If you're considering .44Mag, I'd ask you to give .45LC a look......can do everything a .44Mag can do and more if you reload or buy some of the hotter ammo available for the beefier firearms chambered for .45LC. ...........Dan in GA

Dan, you did an end around. I am trying to stick with the question asked and he didn't mention the .45 Colt BH, if he had offered that choice, I would have certainly recommeded it above the two choices offered. I have the 7 1/2" convertible also.

CZ_

I already thought of the convertible models, but since they are only offered in blue I will pass. I prefer stainless steel revolvers.

As far as the .45 LC goes, I definitely am considering it. What is the recoil range in .45 LC (I haven't ever shot a gun in that chambering yet). What about .45 LC ballistics?

Jim March

First, the basic frames are identical, only the grip frames, hammers and barrel lengths available differ. Back before the "New Model" series, the SBH and Blackhawk primary frames were different, that's no longer the situation.

If you want a really long barrel, you have to go SBH. Unless you want a totally custom barrel done up, which can be done on any of 'em.

The square-rear triggerguard on most SBHs is sometimes a problem (it can whack some people's knuckles under heavy recoil) but that can be solved by grips that fill in the space between the trigger guard and grip frame. Or change the entire grip frame out to some other style - Qualite has brass or stainless grip frames similar to a standard Blackhawk/Vaquero, or they and several others sell bird's-head grips popular with those with small hands.

The Bisley/Vaquero Bisley-type grip frame has a reputation for absorbing big recoil the best. And since the Bisley family guns place the hammer lower, if you must have an adjustable-rear-sight SA Ruger, the Bisley hammer will place your thumb furthest from the rear sight, reducing the odds you'll "hang up" on the rear sight.

Caliber: there's a lot of good info coming out now showing that the .45LC has major advantages over .44Mag. Because the case volume is greater for the .45LC, you can get .44Mag power levels or beyond with LESS peak chamber pressure, leading to greater accuracy and less recoil. True, the ammo choices aren't as broad as .44Mag but Cor-Bon has good JSP and JHP .45LP+P deer loads that rival the .44Mag, and Buffalo Bore has a really slick 325grain hardcast doing over 1,300fps that leaves almost all factory .44Mag fodder for dead. Or you can handload; recipes for hot .45LC+P that work specifically in tough Rugers are widely published online and in print. John Linebaugh has done the most research on wildchild .45LCs, goto http://www.sixgunner.com and follow the link to the Linebaugh page from there. Read what Linebaugh has to say on .45LC versus .44Mag, and you won't want a .44Mag. He includes load data - a lot of it.

What else...there are UNcataloged runs of stainless convertable .45LC/45ACP guns. Most are Vaqueros. A distributor called Davidsons did most of 'em - goto www.gunbroker.com or www.auctionarms.com and search under either "Blackhawk" or "Vaquero" plus the term "convertable". Another really weird combo is the .38-40 and .40S&W convertables, and the .40S&W cylinder can easily be reamed by just about any gunsmith to 10mm or even 10mm Magnum :D.

WESHOOT2

DO YOU or DON'T YOU

Buy the SBH in 44 and be happy (unless you handload; get the 45 Colt).

Plenty of over-the-counter ammo in all flavors, and stout enough for NA game.

DennisE

If you mean to hunt with it get the SBH If you mean to shoot a lot and don't reload get the.357 Magnum BH. If you love 'em both do what I did and get 'em both. If you're getting older and your eyes aren't as young as they were, get the 4 5/8" barrel - a lot easier to carry and easier to see the front sight. Have fun! Dennis

Jbar4Ranch

I second the end around play for the .45 Blackhawk/Vaquero. Traditional factory loads are very tame and if you reload you can easily boost velocity & energy levels a good margin past factory .44 mag ammo. I used 24 grains of H110 under a cast 262 grain SWC for an honest 1400 fps over the screens. Others have gone even higher but please don't attempt to use such loads without properly working up to them.

CZ_

Thanks for the tips guys. I don't hunt BTW, so that is not a factor in my decision. The .45 LC is sounding more and more interesting, and of course the .357 magnum version is good because I can get .38 special ammo dirt cheap. I think I will rule out the .44 magnum version, as I do not really need that much power, and I don't care for the heavy recoil and higher price of ammo in .44 magnum.

Jim March

It's true that in terms of ammo costs, you can't beat .38/.357.

That caliber actually makes the gun heavier, by a little.

There's lots of very low-recoil "cowboy ammo" available in .45LC, at least mailorder. Cowboy Action Shooting is at steel plates generally, and with lot sof spectators around, so the rules call for unjacketed stuff doing less than 1,000fps...and they generally load to more like 800fps, with a 200 - 250grain slug in .45LC.

CorBon makes a self-defense .45LC standard pressure load that gives just slightly more power than their .45ACP. There's other good modest-pressure .45LCs available.

The .45LC is NOT a "handloading required" caliber like it was only a few years ago, esp. not with that Buffalo Bore load at the high end. It IS a "mailorder buying will be necessary at times" proposition but that's not nearly as bad.

Go look at Linebaugh's data, before you decide. Large case volume means lower pressure for the same ballistic results, which in turn means lower recoil and less stress on the gun. The .45LC can throw a strong load out with about 33,000psi chamber pressure, when the .44Mag needs 40,000 to get the same result. And the .357 would need way more than that to struggle to keep up (and fail). The only reason the .44 says in the ballpark is because the extra metal in the cylinder due to the smaller bore means it can take a bit more pressure.

DennisE

Don't forget that you can get the .357 Magnum/9mm Convertible (like mine) and shoot .357 Magnum, .38 Special and 9mm (3 for 1) OUT OF THE SAME GUN!!! Dennis

Zorro

The .44 Mag Super Blackhawk is a ***** cat gun to shoot.

Just upgrade the grips and it will out live you.

AND a .44 Mag does NOT kick much more than a .357 Magnum.

:)

CZ_

The .44 Mag Super Blackhawk is a ***** cat gun to shoot.

Just upgrade the grips and it will out live you.

AND a .44 Mag does NOT kick much more than a .357 Magnum.

I have no intention of using rubber grips on a single action revolver. The attraction of a SA revolver is the great grip angle and natural pointing tendencies, and using those rubber aftermarket grips defeats the purpose. If that is not the grip you are referring to, please let me know.

As far as the recoil: I've shot a friend's S&W 629 side by side with my S&W 686 Plus 6" (.357), and IMO the .44 magnum does have significantly more recoil in general. The 686 .357 did not hurt, the .44 magnum 629 did (BIG TIME)! I have not shot the Super Blackhawk though, so maybe like you said it will be more mild than the 629. I hope so, because I prefer Rugers to S&W's in general.

Fatcat

The .44 SBH is a *****cat. Mine's still in the stock grips, and there is absolutely no pain involved. You should find a friend with one and try it out.

I agree with ya, rubber grips on a SA are an abhorrant sight. Now, some nice ivory ones.. ;)

CZ_

I agree with ya, rubber grips on a SA are an abhorrant sight. Now, some nice ivory ones..

Ivory grips are nice and I would buy them, I am just not into rubber grips on a SA revolver. Yuck! :)

1911A1 fan

If you want a smoooth shooting Ruger as far as recoil, look into a Bisley. But if you want anything but a 7 1/2" bl then you will have the same problem that I have:( . Go look at my thread to see what I mean.