Blackhawk Info?

FiveFeezy

A friend of a friend is looking to trade his Blackhawk in 44 mag for my Glock 30. I was wondering if anybody could give me their thoughts on this and maybe some things to look out for when checking the Blackhawk out. I don't know what barrel length or finish it is in.

The reason I am considering the trade is that I am getting more into hunting and a 44 might be kind of nice for a sidearm. I don't have much use for the Glock 30 since I can't carry and I have enough home protection already. On the other hand I already have a GP100 in .357 for a hunting sidearm too.

So I am wondering what is more valuable between a 2 and 3 screw model? I also have heard something about flattop blackhawks and was wondering what that meant?

Thanks for all of the help.

larryf1952

I'm no Blackhawk expert, as are some of the fine folks on this forum, so I'm sure that they'll chime in with more information. But, I have 2 .45 Colt Blackhawks of mid '90's manufacture. As I understand it, the "3 screw" guns were of the 1st version Blackhawk, whereas this gun did not have the later transfer bar ignition system, which was introduced with the "New Model" Blackhawks ("2 screw" guns). In other words, the 3 screw guns were not safe to carry with 6 loaded rounds in the gun, as the hammer rested on one of the cartridges, ala the Colt SAA. I also believe that the term "flattop" comes from the early guns, and references the shape of the top strap, most specifically, the area around the rear sight. The flattop frames were "flat" all the way back to the sight, whereas the New Model Blackhawks have a bevel and raised portion on either side of the rear sight. Personally, I like the New Model better than the older 2 screw, flattop guns. Chances are, the gun you're considering is the New Model Blackhawk, as they were introduced in 1973.

In any case, the Blackhawks have a well deserved reputation for strength, durability and toughness. I sold a S&W 25-5 and bought my 2 Blackhawks so that I could experiment with .45 Colt handloads a little more aggressively. Many folks carry a .44 Blackhawk into the woods for hunting, and that would be an ideal arm if you're into handgun hunting of deer size or smaller game.

Again, others may have more info, but I'd make sure that the cylinder rotates freely when the loading gate is open, and the cylinder latch pin and ejector rod operate smoothly. Of course, you'll also want to check for tight cylinder lockup when the hammer is cocked.

Best of luck if you decide to make the swap.

TMD

If its a .44 mag then its a Super Blackhawk. The 3 screw models ended around 73 or 74. After that they are called New Model Blackhawks. Assuming its a NMB, blued is worth about $350, SS is worth about $50 more. If its a 3 screw tack another $100 on top of that.

Jim March

The VAST majority of "Blackhawks" in 44Mag were SuperBlackhawks.

An original "three screw" (no safety) Blackhawk in 44Mag without the word "Super" on there would be worth big money. They had the old-style "flattop" frame - there's no upward-sweeping metal each side of the rear sight body.

Here's a Ruger "flattop" rear sight:

FlatTop_HD_rear_sight.jpg

...and here's the "standard" type (same as the GP100, SuperRedhawk and some other Ruger models):

HDrearsight2.jpg

Pics are from the Bowen catalog:

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/parts_store/ruger_rough_country_adjustable_rear_sights.html

In 2006 Ruger did a modern reproduction of that 1950s-era gun, the "50th Anniversary 44Mag Blackhawk Flattop"...which is...interesting but quirky and likely what the guy is trying to sell you.

Specs:

* 6.5" barrel - good length for hunting and in a good shoulder or "chest" rig it can be carried in the field.

* Blue finish.

* Has the smaller "XR3" grip frame similar to a Colt SAA (and exactly like a New Vaquero - takes any NewVaq grips).

* Based on the "large" frame size.

* Has the cylinder improvements off the mid-frame series that started back up in 2004 - basically the accuracy potential is up there. For any other large-frame Ruger single action, look for an "underbarrel warning label" (basically "read the instruction manual" and some other junk) instead of a side-barrel as that marks the cylinder improvements on the large-frame series (starting in 2007). The 50th Blackhawk in 44Mag was the sole exception, the first to get the improvements before the warning label location shifted.

(If you see any "read the manual" stuff on the barrel, it's definitely recent production - they started that in...hmmm...around 1980 I think? Not sure!)

* Many folks think the smaller grip frame is "too small" for the 44Mag. This is fixable though. Wood "oversize" grips for the New Vaquero exist, or you could swap the whole grip frame out with parts off of a Super or a Bisley series.

CDNN Investments sold a ton of the 50th 44s on closeout at $450 a pop, and it seems quite possible that's what you're looking at. There's some at gunsamerica right now going for more than $500 in new to near-new condition. Quality on these was very high, collector value is low as a lot were produced, so a lot of people view them as a "starting point" towards customization, doing barrel chops, grip frame/trigger/hammer swaps, etc. They were made during what I consider a peak period for Ruger's quality control (roughly 2004-2007, "vintage years" for Ruger). If you're interested in a 44Mag hunting gun you could do a lot worse as a starting point. Most used SuperBlackhawks were pre-2007 and were less accurate - it's easier to fix the ergonomic issues on the 50th 44 than to accurize a cheaper Super or more expensive Bisley version.

WARNING: the stock grip panels are horrible...nicknamed "the cheesegraters". DO NOT fire full-power 44Mag ammo with those grips on, without gloves. Not even once! My NewVaq357 came with those, and I had to shave most of the sharp checkering off just to fire high-end 357s. You can get good smooth wood grips from Altamont Grips for less than $40 shipped. Options for oversize exist - if you need help finding them let me know but if you have smaller to medium size hands you might like that grip frame size but ONLY with smooth grips that will roll in your hand properly!!!

FiveFeezy

Thanks for all that info, Jim. Let me see if I understand what you are saying. If its a newer Super Blackhawk with the cylinder improvements the warning label should be under the barrel instead of on the side, unless it is a 50th Anniversary model?

Thanks for all the help everyone.

mkk41

If its a .44 mag then its a Super Blackhawk.

Not necessarily. Ruger chambered both the standard Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk in .44 mag.

The Super Blackhawk differs in the larger all steel Colt Walker style grip frame , unfluted cylinder , grooved trigger and wide spur hammer.

The .44 Blackhawk has the smaller , lighter aluminum grip frame , fluted cylinder and standard hammer & trigger.

Then there's old model(3-screw) , New Model(2-pins), and New Model Hunter models with ribbed barrel cut for Ruger rings.

Jim March

Thanks for all that info, Jim. Let me see if I understand what you are saying. If its a newer Super Blackhawk with the cylinder improvements the warning label should be under the barrel instead of on the side, unless it is a 50th Anniversary model?

Yup. The 50th 44 was the only large-frame to get the improvements before the side-barrel warning switch.

ALL the mid-frames from 2004-forward have the cylinder improvement.

The improvement is, the new ones have cylinder chambers all done with the same bit/reamer set, in sequence, one at a time. Chambers and throats are uniform. The old way used six at once.

When I was shopping in 2005 I went mid-frame for this reason and the accuracy payoff was there.

Oh. One more thing. The "50th 44 Blackhawk Flattop" and the "50th Super" are two different guns! Both are good and both have the new-style cylinder. The 50th Super was among the first underbarrel-warning guns.

kraigwy

I've had Blackhawks over the years, I sure as heck wouldn't trade one for a glock.

The Blackhawks are strong accurate guns.

Thespis

Take that deal!

I've had a Super Blackhawk in .44 mag for several years and wouldn't give it up. I agree with the advice from Edwards and others: hand over the Glock, take the Blackhawk, and walk away smiling. :)

FiveFeezy

I saw it yesterday and turned it down. It was a two screw model. It had some rust pitting on the barell, beat up grips, and it didn't have the cylinder improvements that Jim was talking about. But the cylinder locked up tight.

He just called and now he wants to throw some money in on the deal. Hmmm.

KBM1

From a ruggedness point of view, Ruger makes the best production single action revolver. I'm very happy with mine.

Sevens

Jim, tell the man what he needs to know: He should hold out for the gas-op self-ejecting model Blackhawk. :D

FiveFeezy

I decided against the trade. The Ruger was a little more beat up than I I'm comfortable with. It looked uncared for and I just don't like having any firearms that look uncared for unless they are coming dirt cheap. Thanks for all the replies. They are much appreciated.