blackhawk convertible

tomh1426

I want to buy a blackhawk .45C/.45acp convertible but the only ones I seem to find have the long barrel.
Rugers sight Isnt working, I cant get details.
Does Ruger make convertibles with shorter barrels?
Whear can I find one?
Budds shows a shorter barreled convertible but the discription says 7-1/2"barrel.
$420 deliverd makes me wanna get it aneyway :)

Perldog007

They do make a 4 5/8 and a 5.5 " to the best of my knowledge. A 7.5" blackhawk balances nicely for some, yours truly included. If you haven't tried one might want to check that out unless you have a requirement for the shorter barrel.

I think the shorter bbls' look better, but that 7.5 points nice for me and hits a little bit harder. YMMV :D

tomh1426

yeah I just liked the way the shorter barrel looked really. :eek:
Its pretty much my first single action and I just thought the 7-1/2 looked kinda long.
Ill never put it in a holster and I do usually prefer longer barrels, maybe I should just go with it.

wjkuleck

So far the 2008 listings include:

BN44XL: .45Colt/.45ACP 4 5/8"
BN455XL: " 5 1/2"

These are blued. The "X" part of the suffix indicates that the revolver is a "convertible."

Regards,

Walt Kuleck
RCA #97

pesta2

I purchased mine used 5 years ago or so.

attachment.php

tomh1426

I never used Gunbroker, is it an auction?
Id like to just buy it and have it shipped.
I like the 5-1/2, not to short not to long.
Thaks

Rigby1962

Yes its an auction but many have a “Buy it now”. Some dont like the auction but I always just bid what I want. If I get it fine if I dont I move on.

tomh1426

Yeah I called Buds all he's got are 7-1/2's or 4-5/8 $420 delivered.
They dont know when their getting more 5-1/2's
I want one just like pesta2's that looks awesome!!
Guess I can live without the extra 7/8" :cool:

MotoIdaho

Keep Looking

I don't buy a lot of guns so when I find one that I really want I'm willing to wait a bit to find it. If you really like the 5.5" then keep looking.

44 AMP

Staff
I have a pair of 7.5" .45Colt/.45ACP Blackhawks

One of them for about 25 years. Fine guns. Accurate, hard hitting, and for me, well balanced. The only thing they aren't good for is the fancy revolver spinning tricks, which I don't do anyway.

I bought my first one because I had a .45 auto, and figured that I could plink with the revolver without having to scrounge through the weeds to get the brass. But I made one small mistake. I bought a box of .45 Colt with the gun, and fired it first! Never looked back! Ok, I have fired about 300 rounds of .45 ACP through it, but somehow, it just doesn't seem like much. These guns are for .45 Colt, and will handle .45 Colt loads that rival the .44 Magnum. With standard factory loads the recoil is not much, even with the tiny stock grips. Of course, the revolver does pivot in your hand, that is what it is supposed to do, but other than that, recoil is mild.

I really enjoy mine, and I think you will enjoy yours when you get it.

tomh1426

I have a few .45acp's and a puma 92 in .45 Colt thats why I wanted the convertible.
Since this morning I changed my mind on barrel length at least 4 times
Im going to handle them tomarrow and see what happens.

tomh1426

I went to 4 places to handle all 3 diff barrel length convertibles.
I like the way the 4 5/8" looked but it didnt feel right the 5 1/2 was much better and the 7 1/2 was better still.
So I went with the 7 1/2
Happy birthday to me :)

tomh1426

Thanks, my actual B-day is Feb 17th but I ordered it now just to make sure ;)
I alredy loaded a ton of .45 Colt's, cant wait!

NORTEXED

The great thing about the Colt if you handload, is the "Variety" you can come up with. Below are three of my favorites:

P1010001-1.jpg

#1 is 285 gr. LBFT "real wholloper"
# 2 is 2 .454 round balls that print 2-3" apart at 50'
# 3 is .444 Marlin cut to cylinder length with 7gr. Unique, overpowder wad, filled with # 12 shot, over shot card wad and sealed with a driop of black paint. (a real rat and snake getter) The .444 is real close to .45 Colt in dia., rim thickness and diameter.

Tom C.

I like stainless and Ruger doesn’t make stainless convertibles very often, but they will make them for you if you request it. I got a 7 ½” stainless NMBH in .45 Colt and sent it to them. I asked them to put in a 5 ½” barrel and a .45 ACP cylinder. They did it no problem. Recently, I sent in an older stainless .357 and had it rebarreled to 6 ½” and had them add a 9mm cylinder. The .45s are very accurate with either cylinder. The .357 is accurate in .357 but not as good in 9mm.