Blackhawk accuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnemeth

What type of accuracy can you expect from Ruger's Blackhawk SA revolvers? I'm really interested in any accuracy info about the .357 and .357/9MM models with the 4 5/8" barrel.

Thanks
Christopher Nemeth

AC

I can't tell you about the 9mm version but Blackhawks have been some of the most consistently accurate handguns I have owned. In looking over my firing records recently I was struck by the fact that a Ruger .44 or .357 SA was the way to go if I wanted consistent, easily obtainable accuracy.

slabsides

Member In Memoriam
I have noticed several posts by cnemeth lately, and it's clear that he wants to have verification of his preference for the Ruger Convertible. Let me provide it, herewith: Well-made handguns are more accurate than their shooters, in a general sense. Some are easier than others to shoot well, but the shooter is still one of the most vital parts of the accuracy equation. The Ruger Blackhawk, in the 20 or so different ones I have shot extensively, is capable of accuracy equal to any revolver made, and better than most. And of course they are some of the strongest and most reliable guns made. Examples from my collection: A .45 Convertible shoots 2 1/2" groups at 50 yards, and holds this accuracy to 200; a stainless .357 with 1935-level loads (1500 fps/800 fp) shoots under 7 moa to 200. Your results may vary, naturally. Cylinder opening fit is important: see info available via links.at www.sixgunner.com, for an explanation. The utility of the .357/9mm convertible is questionable unless you have access to a large quantity of cheap 9mm. The .45Colt/.45ACP Convertible is much more versatile, IMOP. slabsides

------------------
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.

[This message has been edited by slabsides (edited August 15, 1999).]

I've got a .357/9mm Blackhawk, but mine is the 6 1/2" version. Accuracy with good ammo and clear head is one ragged hole at 25yds. and 100yd dings on steel silouhettes with boring regularity. I put a Wolff springkit in it and a Belt Mountain basepin w/setscrew. I don't believe either increased accuracy, but the springs give a much better triggerpull so you can do your best.
As for the utility of the cartridge combo, I like it because I reload both calibers. A revolver that shoots 9mm is a great place to blow off those 9mm rounds that don't quite work in a semi-auto. :)

------------------
TJS

JoeHatley

Christopher, I have a Blackhawk convertible in .45. With the .45 acp, which gets used mostly on a 25 yard indoor range, it will easily shoot 2" or so groups, off hand. It would probably cut that in half, if I used some sort of rest.

The .45 colt gets used at an old rock quarry I have access to. I can't really give you any group sizes, because the targets are usually rocks and such. Most shots are anywhere from 50 to 200 yards. With my loads, any longer distance and I have to hold over the target so much, it isn't really target shooting but more like "chunkin' lead in the gereral direction". Tons of fun!!!

Good luck with decision... Joe

------------------
Go NRA

Status
Not open for further replies.