Blackened Stainless.

imp

Wondering if anyone has blackened a stainless revolver, who did it, and what the outcomes looked like. I know robar does it, considering sending them a Sp101 to black-out.

jmr40

S&W made a run of 686's back in the 90's that were blackened. I have owned 2 and wouldn't go that way again. The 1s one I bought had been stolen from a local gun shop. The thieves placed it, along with about a dozen others in a gym bag and ran out the door. They were caught selling guns from their trunk within hours.

After the stolen guns were returned I was able to buy this one heavily discounted. The 2-3 hours in a bag had rubbed a large portion of the "black" off the gun. I had the entire gun bead blasted and it ended up looking pretty nice.

I ended up with another a few years later. It didn't take much to scratch the finish off it either.

The new after market coatings might be better. But S&W's version did not impress me.

mete

Someone has commented that if you take a stainless gun and put it in a standard hot blue solution you get a nice grey finish. I havene'tseen one yet.

bamaranger

Black T

Black T as done by the Birdsong people in Jackson MS is another coating for stainless. They've got a website.

psalm7

I used to Blue Firearms in a local Gun shop and accidently buffed and polished a Rem 700 in 7 mag that had a stainles barrel . After bluing it untill the reciever and had a beautiful black finish I realized the screw up . It didn't do anything to finish the barrel . Factory blue stainless back then were iron plated then blued .

Slopemeno

Brownells used to sell the salts to blue stainless- haven't looked in their catalog recently.

We blued a stainless Mini-14 with the Brownells salts. It took quite a while to turn, and the finish isn't quite as nice as a carbon-steel and conventional hot blue- that said it came out nice.

psalm7

I have some stainless knives I would like a black finish on . Besides the old holding it over a papper match to darken it . I would'nt want a coating because it would get in the sharpening stone .