black semiautos - stainless revolvers...?

simonrichter

Maybe it's just my misconception... But why is it that while the vast majority of semiautos is black (or blued or whatever "dark" finish), a larger portion of the revolver family seems to Feature a stainless steel finish. Is there any possible reason why stainless makes more sense in a wheelgun?

I'm only talking of the metal parts, being well aware that many modern semiautos are not full-steel designs anyway.

jmr40

Most newer service semi's are black, but have some type of coating that protects as well or better than SS. Glocks in particular. Also many have SS slides with the coating. Many Sig's and S&W's.

2 reasons come to mind. Most new semi designs use plastic or aluminum frames. Most don't like the contrasting color scheme. Less flashy for use at night as well for LE or military use.

A steel semi's are quite often seen in SS. Lately I see far more SS 1911's than blued.

Crankgrinder

You know I do see a trend there, and with my own guns my 1911 is the only stainless semi, my 357 is stainless. I do however have an lcr, it's black.

BobCat45

I have no stainless handguns. My Smith & Wessons and Rugers are all blue, Bownings and 1911 Parkerized, and CZ has the black paint the factory put on it.

I think many revolvers these days are stainless because they used to be blued, where autoloaders were Parkerized.

Blue is more fragile and prone to rust than stainless or phosphate, and phosphating revolvers sort of requires plugging the barrel and chambers to prevent etching (sort of, notwithstanding the S&W Victory model 338s).

tipoc

Traditionally revolvers were blued. The overwhelming majority of wheelguns produced over the last 150 years have been blued. This was also true of semis.

At the same time a small but significant number were produced as nickel plated guns. This was because nickel plating was more rust resistant in humid, wet climates. Military handguns tended to be parkerized. Parkerizing is the familiar look of GI 1911s. In the U.S. both military revolvers and semis were parkerized (or lightly blued) from the first world war on. Parkerizing was actually not as durable as most blueing but was less expensive and time consuming, it was also non- reflective which the military liked.

Nickel plating of guns fell away as stainless steel became workable for handguns in the postwar period. Both revolvers and semis were produced in SS and rust resistance led to the gradual demise of nickel plating. A similar cosmetic effect to nickel plating can be accomplished by a high polish on the stainless.

The stainless was almost instantly popular on revolvers, almost, many shooters still prefer the look of the older bluing. Durable, rust resistant, good looking. It took longer to catch on with pistols due to initial problems with galling. The latter was worked out within a few years. Stainless is also tougher to machine than carbon steel, being harder on tooling so there was a curve.

Once a part of regular production stainless for revolvers became dominant. New technique made it possible to place dark finishes on stainless. It also became, due to environmental impact and health and safety concerns more expensive to produce a good bluing job.

A lot of this comes down to taste, preferences and opinions.

Folks with a "tactical" lean prefer the "military" finishes. While other fellas lean elsewhere.

tipoc

Last edited:

Dragline45

I think the reason the majority of auto's you see are all blued/black is because the frames are made of polymer which are typically black in color. Personally I think the two tone black/stainless is hideous and makes the guns look like toys. I prefer an all metal stainless gun, but besides 1911's they are a rarity these days. Same goes for revolvers, I prefer stainless every time. It's far easier and cheaper for me to polish or bead blast than to send something out to get refinished.

tipoc

Actually most polymer is white, "colorless" or an unattractive greyish tone. Dyes have to be added to it. This is especially the case with polymer framed guns. Polymer frames like Glocks have traditionally been black or dark grey in order to win military contracts, which is how Glock got it's start. The same is true for the polymer guns that proceeded the Glock.

Early "plastic" stocked rifles tended to be died wood colors and patterns, made to look like the wood stocks of common rifles.

The M16/AR led the way in black dyed military firearms and set the pattern for Glock and others to follow.

Now it's increasingly common to see both ARs' and handgun frames dyed other colors from desert earth tones, to OD green, to pink, leaf green, etc. (This is not the "bake on" patterns like camo.)

https://www.google.com/search?q=col...%2Fmuddprincezz%2Fgirls-with-g-uns%2F;236;168

tipoc

T. O'Heir

Police issue pistols are dark because it costs less than SS. Polymer pistols are dark because steel ones are dark. Think in terms of "That's how they've always been so that how they are now." Police and military's are like that.
And SS being harder on tooling.

tipoc

Yes they are, my point is that more color polymer frames are on the market over the last few years as competition has intensified. Buyers want those options.

tipoc

8MM Mauser

In cabelas yesterday I saw poly pistols in pink, purple, and one Walther 380 (P380?) with an aqua and black tiger stripe frame. My 3 year old daughter said to me "buy that one daddy; it's so pretty!"

Personally, I prefer my polymer guns black.

Bluing makes for a very attractive finish; but it is so darn sensitive to everything. When I clean my blued MKII I spend as much time on the outside as the inside!

I have always preferred the look of a stainless revolver. That said I don't currently own any revolvers; but every single one I want/ plan anytime soon is stainless. It is just such a perfect application for stainless steel; and it looks good too.

The other day I saw a guy with a stainless berreta 92; a stainless 1911 of some flavor, and a stainless revolver I couldn't identify from a few lanes down. Nice looking guns all.

Webleymkv

A lot of it has to do with the market too. Many buyers of semi-autos, particularly newer designs, want the "tactical" look and black coatings are what police/military uses so that appears more "tactical". Buyers of revolvers and "older" semi-auto designs like 1911's, on the other hand, are often less interested in a "tactical" look so there is less demand for black coating.

old-dog

I think your question has been answered. The semi autos now all have durable coatings while revolvers are either blued (which do not wear well over time) or SS which resists sweat. I tend to buy all black guns. The benefit of a non reflective gun was apparent in the jungles of NAM during a full moon. I have only one SS revolver, the other two have durable finishes on them and tend to be newer models that cost a lot more.

Andy Blozinski

I have a different logic for my choice.
I don't want my pistol to be non-reflective. It's concealed in a holster under my shirt anyways. A cool looking macho dark oh so fashionable finish won't have any effect there. If I have to pull it out, I want them to KNOW it. If I can get someone to crap their pants and I don't have to fire, that's a better solution for me.
Got a chrome plated Chiappa Rhino revolver with 4" barrel. It's big and obvious and mean looking. The black barrel surrounded by the chrome frame makes the bore look HUGE from the target's visual perspective.

Koda94

I have heard ( and dont necessarily subscribe...) that SS stands out too much in a tactical situation, such as self defense. Consider that most self defense pistols are now autos.

Myself, personally... while I do like the look of a SS pistol I think its over rated. If you take care of a blued steel pistol it will last more than a lifetime.

Carmady

"I have heard ( and dont necessarily subscribe...) that SS stands out too much in a tactical situation, such as self defense."

I don't buy that either. If you have to defend yourself they already know where you are.

tipoc

Maybe 30 years ago I was talking to a friend saying that I did not care for a bright nickel plated gun because if I needed to move around my back yard at night that gun might pick up the light and reflect revealing my position. He asked me when was the last time I did that? I had to say never. So why worry about that? He also asked if I had any dark guns, which he knew I did. OK so if you do have to move around in the dark use a dark gun, he said. But don't let that stop you from buying a gun you like or want to try out.

Good advice I thought.

Another fella said that he did not like stainless guns because if in the mountains of Afghanistan or the jungles of Viet Nam they might be shiny. Next time I'm running around with a handgun in the jungle involved in warfare I'll keep that in mind. Till then this may do for most things...

tipoc

MarkCO

Except my first handgun, all of my Revolvers are stainless. I have several stainless autos as well.

However, the main reasons get into material interactions, lubricity and machining. Stainless is more prone to galling, especially stainless on stainless, so it's use in the slide rails resulted in a less durable and less reliable firearm, long term. Stainless, in the presence of air, creates its own passive, anti-corrosion surface. When that surface rubs on another surface, the corrosion layer is removed, and is actually abrasive. Sure, there are alloys that mitigate this issue to some extent, but the cost is very high. So too, stainless, until recently, was harder to apply a harder, high lubricity coating to. It is still harder to do, but relatively recent advancements in coating technologies have narrowed that gap. In addition, stainless with aluminum has some corrosion cell issues that prevent direct contact, and then the whole galling corrosion layer issue is even worse. The new coatings for stainless and embedded metal (with very hard coatings or treatments) in polymer frames has opened the window of reliability and wear considerably, which is why we are seeing an increase in stainless slides in autos.

With a revolver, there are no high wear surfaces of stainless on stainless, and the cycles put on revolvers is also significantly less over a given lifespan than on an auto.

boltomatic

Its simply because most semi-autos use some sort of polymer in their construction and black goes better with polymer frames. When you try to put stainless steel and polymer on the same gun, its very hard to make it look right.

Revolvers on the other hand are usually made completely of steel, which looks nice with a simple polish.

Also, the revolver is an older design, way before they started using plastic on guns, so part of it is just tradition.

Micahweeks

I don't really care. I just want the hardest, longest lasting finish I can afford for my carry guns and something I don't have to fool with very often. So, my carry guns mostly have the HK black finish or nitride-type finish. My 4" and WC GP100s are both blued. Most of the rest of my guns are stainless. I don't really have any preference or anything. I just want it to be easy to clean and wear resistant. Not much else matters to me. I'd carry the ugliest looking gun you've ever seen if it felt good to shoot, was reliable, was reasonably accurate, and had a finish that didn't wear through regular carry for times measured in years. It could be puke yellow and shaped like a crooked pickle. I'm just that much of a utilitarian. I only need to be able to fight well enough to save my ass. Anything else is superfluous.

Now, one day when I make better than state level government pay I'll get me a couple of good looking guns for the sake of having some good looking guns. I've got a Nighthawk Custom T3 on my list as well as a Gemini Custom SP101. But, as long as I have kids in the house, my money will buy inexpensive tools rather than expensive toys. :)