Black Rifle Goodies

jg0001

So, as I eagerly await my LWRC M6A3 rifle (in 6.8), I've been going over the various goodies available for the AR platform and trying to decide what to get.

Items I already have include:
-Eotech XPS3-0 Red Dot Sight (well, it's on order, due imminently; I've been in line on this thing since Feb)
-Eotech 3x Magnifier (2009 edition, for the above, with flip-to-side mount)
-Extra 15rd magazines (I live in NJ, so 15 is it... my relatives in PA enjoy the 30rd'rs)
-Magpul magazine hook things
-LULA AR-15 mag loader (works on 6.8 just fine)

Items I can't fully decide on and would like input include:
-Slings & sling mounts... frankly, this stuff is a little baffling. I suppose I need to know how the mounts would work before I pick a sling, or vice versa
-Forend grips
-Bipods (I can probably skip these for now, though I was looking at the GRIP-POD until someone suggested it is quite heavy)
-Weapon LIGHTS (preferably with a pressure switch doohicky)
-LASER (I've been looking at the GREEN Lasermax one.. on sale at Midway)
-SCOPE -- for now, I'll stick with the dot + mag; later I'll deal with this, but it shouldn't impact the other decisions I'm making

Since all of the above can be to some degree or another dependent on the other choices, I'm at an impasse -- i.e. the weapon LIGHT may deteremine which forend grip to get, there are forend grips with built in bi-pods (Grip-Pod). If the lights weren't so damned expensive, I'd just pick one and go with it. As it is, I don't want to be making $300-$500+ mistakes on that choice.

[This rifle isn't for hunting, though it could be used for that. I like the idea of the sling as it moves some of the weight support from my arms to my body, moreso than just for lugging it around (so perhaps a 2 or 3 point sling and not a single point?!?).]

J.Smith

Gear Sector Single Point sling and mount. Larue FUG. Laser I like 5MW or 10MW. Light I've got a Surefire G2LED with a clickycap mounted with 1 inch Scope rings. Although I would really like a M3 Turbohead with a larue mount.

zenmtnman

honestly...I'm not a foregrip kinda guy. Makes me less accurate...
What profile barrel you getting?
Personally, I've swapped all my forearms to free float YHM customizable rifle length, with a low-profile gas block under them, to tweak as much accuracy as I can out of them. With that forearm I can mount a harris ultralight bipod, and you can mount lights/lasers on the side, plus the top rail cowitnesses with the top of the flat top receiver.
As for scopes...i love my Nikon 1-4X20...great glass.

jg0001

LWRC M6A3 w 16" barrel in 6.8 SPC
http://lwrci.com/Products/M6A3/tabid/83/Default.aspx

As I noted previously, I'll be putting on an Eotech XPS3-0 (if it ever shows up) and may also try out a 3-9x or similar scope somewhere down the line.

Yeah, yeah... I know it is a 1:10 twist. LWRC has proven it can handle combat loads just fine, so I'm not worried about it (and I'm no marksman, so 300+yds doesn't matter to me on this rifle).

FYI: I did order the LaRue foreward grip (the one with 3 tailcaps). I also ordered their Tactical Padded Sling, rails covers & rail ladders. The latter two are inexpensive, so I figured I'd try them out and see how they look/work (at keeping out debris, reducing snags) rather than 'think' about it for too long.

GLK

Eventually you'll end up with one like one of the two seen below. BTW I just sold a GPS vertical fore grip / bi pod and it was much lighter than the lightest Harris bi pod setup I owned and it serves two purposes rather well. Mine was the model with the steel/aluminum/metal/whatever inserts in the bi pod legs.
In any case your in for some fun trying different things and products until you get it "just right",,,,,,BWAAAAA they are never "just right" for long:D
DSC03494.JPG

DSC02507.JPG

jg0001

Very nice GLK... if you don't mind sharing, what scope is that in the bottom photo (brand & mag power range)?

lmccrock

Single point slings are better for SWAT and CQB, like exiting vehicles with a carbine or SBR. Also, if you wear a fully loaded vest, it may be easier to hook a single point to the vest. 2-point are better for carrying, and transitions to handgun (i.e., run carbine dry or have a malfunction, then just let carbine go, it falls to the sling, then draw handgun and continue - less worry about the carbine muzzle swinging around than with a single point).

Lee

GLK

Very nice GLK... if you don't mind sharing, what scope is that in the bottom photo (brand & mag power range)?

That scope is a Simmons 6.5-20X44. It has the illuminated mil-dot reticle and AO that allows focus from infinity down to 35 feet. It holds zero and the point of aim does not shift through out the zoom range. I bought three of these on close out over the years and paid $99.00 for two of them and $79.00 for the third. IIRC they were a $200-$250.00 dollar optic when first introduced. I have used them on my 17s mostly, but when I wanted to see what that 1-7 twist WOA barrel on that AR would do on paper at 300 yards I put that Simmons on it. Now it's back on a Savage 17HMR. Other than not being the brightest glass out there I am pleasantly surprised, hell make that over joyed with the quality and the service life of these scopes.
Gary

erwos

I have a GripPod GPS-02, which is the polymer variant. It is built _VERY_ solidly, and I have made some pretty good shots (for me) using the bipod portion. I don't really think it adds very much weight, even on my tacticool'ed 10/22.