Black Powder Scopes?

zippy13

Most of us are aware, rifle and pistol scopes have different eye reliefs; but, what makes one a "Black Powder" scope? I was looking at some general scope specs and didn't notice anything special/different about the ones that claim to be for black powder guns. What am I missing?

RWBlue01

I think a lot of it is marketing. I decided not to buy a specific BP scope. Instead I moved another scope over to my Encore.

Pahoo

Eye relief is one difference as well as the reticles, like the Pro-Diamond types. Usually see these listed as Muzzleloading/Shotgun scope. Usualy low power and Paralax may be set different. Can't speak to mechanical strenths and weaknesses.

Be Safe !!!

Jim Watson

Agree with Pahoo.
A shotgun scope would likely have long eye relief against the recoil and shorter range parallax setting because of the limiting trajectory of a shotgun slug. A muzzleloader scope would be much the same. Unless it is just advertising.

arcticap

Shotgun/muzzle loader scopes usually have 4"-6" of eye relief, while rifle scopes are usually under 4" of eye relief.

zippy13

I thought Black Powder scopes might have some provisions to make them more suited to the "dirtier" environment associated with black powder shooting.

Pahoo

I thought Black Powder scopes might have some provisions to make them more suited to the "dirtier" environment associated with black powder shooting.
Not really and that is one reason they sell those rubber protectors to keep the underside of the scope from accumulating any residue. Now, they do make armored scopes but that is a separate issue and not related to being used on M/L's. One still has to clean the underside of the scope.

Be Safe !!!

wogpotter

Some claim to have BDC reticules better suited to BP trajectories. If this is true or just hype escapes me.:confused: