Black powder relacements

finger1

I am interested in knowing what powders you all are using now and what you have used before. and the results, I need one more rifle,for my collection. like black mag 3,pyrodex, ect...
It will probably be a reproduction 45/70 rolling block so I would probably want a cleaner powder, I have had corosion problems with black powder before. It was my fault from lacadazial cleaning.

Bill Mitchell

Staff Alumnus
Howdy,

Folks I know that use a BP substitute use Pyrodex. Interestingly,Pyrodex now makes pellets in 30 grain and 50 grain sizes. While intended for use in muzzle-loading rifles and pistols,testing has proven that these can be safely used in cartridges. A friend of mine who just got back from the End of Trail shoot used the 30 grain pellets in his .44-40 rifle cartridges-just dropped in the pellet and seated a bullet on top. Some of the other folks I have talked to have placed a wonder wad before seating the bullet. So far,these pellets have been tough to find,but a call to Mike Daly at Hodgden might make your search a little easier.

Bellicose Bill

Trapdoor Billy

Pyrodex, does not foul as much as some BP's. You just gotta remember to clean um up immediately after shooting.

------------------
Trapdoor Billy
Indian Scout and Delaware Cowboy