Black Powder firearm as photo prop - WW I - take a look

bedbugbilly

I know this is a blackpowder forum but am posting this here as some of you might enjoy it. I collect old images with a particular interest in World War I. Dating back to the Civil War, weapons were often used as photo props when a soldier had his picture taken. I've seen a number of Civil War tintypes with a soldier holding a flintlock rifle, etc. that were obvious photographer's props. I added this to my collection a couple of years ago and ran across it last night while I was looking for a specific image.

The boys of '17 were off to fight a war like none other that our country had seen. Many of these young men had grandfathers that had been in the Civil War - for Hawg - I'll rephrase that - "The War Of Northern Agression". :D I have several images where "props" were used and if I'm not mistaken, the pistol this young "doughboy" is holding is a 59 Remington - it looks like it doesn't have a loading lever - possibly a conversion? Take a look and see what you think.

I have two images of two different soldiers (WW I) - both in the same sitting position and by the same photographer and they are holding what looks like a 1840 heavy "old wrist breaker" sabre. If nothing else, the props gave the impression that the subject was "fearless and brave".

Just thought I'd share. Thanks! :)

Attachments

• Remington Pistol Prop.jpg
    Remington Pistol Prop.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Remington Pistol Prop - Copy.jpg
    Remington Pistol Prop - Copy.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 114