Black Powder Cartridges

Uncle Buck

I am curious about storing black powder cartridges.

What Are your experiences with storing black powder cartridges?

I have about 100 .45 Colt rounds loaded with FFFg powder. My friend says it is corrosive and the rounds will deteriorate.

The powder comes in metal cans and none of my cans are corroding. How long can I store these rounds?

I know after shooting I clean my brass with soapy water, let them dry and tumble them for reloading.

Jim Watson

Your friend is speaking from a vast lack of knowledge.
Black powder is not itself corrosive and the ammunition will keep as well as any. Maybe better. Just keep it cool so bullet lube doesn't get into the powder or primer.

Jbar4Ranch

Black powder is not corrosive. Black powder residue, in itself, is also not corrosive, but black powder residue is hygroscopic, meaning it attracts water like a sponge. The water combines with sulfates, nitrates, and carbonates in the residue creating sulfuric acid, nitric acid, and carbonic acid, the first two of which are VERY corrosive.

briandg

To add to what is said, BP is safe in a sealed environemnt. it is a physical blend of two inert products, sulfur and carbon, along with an ionic compound (oxidizer) of KNO3. The potassium CAN become corrosive in certain conditions, but NOT when mixed into a BP product and kept dry and sealed.

This is not like a smokeless that is created out of a bunch of unstable organic molecules that can and do break down.

When burned in a confined chamber, yes, potassium, sulfur, oxygen, and nitrogen all combine, and pretty much the only product that isn't corrosive in this mix of combustion products is the CO2 that is released. almost all of the other products form soot and ash, which wind up coating all metal surfaces, creating an incredibly bad situation.

I really appreciate being part of such a knowledgable group here.

Uncle Buck

Thanks guys. I kinda figured I was good to go, but could not remember the science behind it. I store my ammo with bullet down, so if the lube does get runny, it'll stay put.

Shotgun693

And to repeat, put your loaded ammo into a box were it will stand on it's nose. If, or when, the lube gets hot some can run down into the powder and contaminate it.

Hardcase

I think that I've told the story here before, but since I suffer from CRS, I'm gonna give it another go.

When my folks sold their house in the city and moved to the mountains, they had a garage sale and literally cleaned out the garage. One of the things that my dad found was an old pipe tobacco can almost full of black powder. It had belonged to my great grandfather. We figured that it must have gone back to around 1910 or so. Other than sitting in the folks' garage for over 20 years in temperatures that ranged from below zero to over a hundred degrees, it probably also spent many years in my grandfather's shop under the same conditions.

There's about half a tin left of that black powder, maybe an eighth of a pound of 2F. It works great. It's what we shoot great, great granddad's .58 caliber Springfield with a few times every summer.

Yeah, it keeps.

ClemBert

Sometimes people get confused with "dry BP" being corrosive versus "BP residue". As others have indicated the former is not and the later is. Therefore, you don't have a problem. Maybe you can educate your friend so he doesn't keep spreading misinformation.