black powder cartridge silhouettes

tankertom

Howdy,
I don't know if this fits better in rifles or competition.

I was out at the local rifle range this weekend with my Mauser and Mosin-Nagant. While I was out there I watched part of a black powder cartridge silhouette match. It looked like fun.

I am thinking about selling off an evil black rifle to buy a rifle for BPCR. Is the Browning Model 1885 BPCR a good starter rifle? I handled one on Saturday and the gun shop folks pointed out that it came with a vernier sight from the factory. I am thinking of .45/70 as brass and ammo are probably more available than .45/90 and up.

Thanks,

TT

TT,

If you shoot by NRA rules, your BP rifle will have to have an exposed hammer. I don't know if the Browning fills that spec. or not.

For a beginner, .45-70 is definitely the way to go to cut your teeth. Lots of available stuff, it's easy to reload, the recoil isn't too terrible (but it can be wearing over the length of a match), and it is generally a very accurate round.

A lot of serious competitors have, in the past several years, gone to .40 rounds such as the .40-60 Maynard or .40-65 Winchester. There are also a couple of wildcats avilable on .45-70 brass, the differences mainly in where the shoulder is set, and the length of the neck. Unfortunatly for these rounds brass has to be made, as I know of no current commercial source, other than possibly Bertram.

You'll find that anything more powerful that .45-70 really isn't suitable from a recoil standpoint. It just gets to be too much for a match.

Some years ago I fired about half a match with a .45-70, but switched to a .40-70 wildcat because the recoil was really getting to me.

Also if you shoot by NRA rules you'll have to use all black powder. Substitutes and duplexing are not allowed, nor are jacketed bullets. Paper-patch bullets are OK, but I only know of one or two competitors who are using them as they can be such a pain in the butt.

If you really want to give this a go, I suggest the Stephen Garbe & Mike Venturino's handbook on cartridge selection and handloading. It's got a lot of very useful information. I think you can still get it from Midway.

Alex Johnson

No offense intended to Browning, but I'm more impressed with replicas sold by Pedersoli. These are cheaper and lots of BPCR shooters are using them. If you want to go whole hog get into the Shiloh's (I love my number 3 in 45-70), or check out Lonestar or C Sharps. While all of these places have a fairly good backlog, they aren't all that much more expensive. One other thing, don't skimp on sights. Some of the Pedersoli's are pretty good, but you don't want to mess with a cheap one.

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
I kind of agree with Alex. Take a look at a Pedersoli (but don't do it side by side with a Shiloh or C. Sharps!!) They are not that bad for an over the counter replica.

Shiloh & C. Sharps are not that much more expensive (a few hundred) but they do have an "extended" back log. (I believe Shiloh is up to 4+ years (should tell you something). Fit and Finish is what you would expect from a "hand made" replica.

I will totally agree with Alex... I also love my Shiloh (Long Range Express)!

I've never seen a Pedersoli Sight but did check out the Mid-Range Tang what comes on the Brownings. POS in my opinion! Spend the $$ on a good tang from Montana Vintage Arms or The Rifleman. Worth every cent!

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited May 08, 2000).]

tankertom

I was thinking that like many other things in life you get what you pay for. I don't think my attention span will handle a 4 yr. wait.

The sales pitch that it came with a $400 sight seemed unlikely.

Any particular model of Pedersoli to look for?

Is .40/65 a viable caliber. I see a Shiloh Sharps in .40/65 on GunBroker.com

Thanks,

TT

Noban

TT - I have a Perdersoli No. 3 Sporting Rifle. You can pick up one from Cabella's for around $800. The Pedersoli "High Grade" competition sites sold by Cabella'a are not bad at all and can be adjusted for windage.

I'm able to consistently shoot 1.5" groups with mine with both factory loads and black powder cartridges. Like you, if I had to wait 4 years for a rifle, forget it.

Good luck.

Alex Johnson

Talking about sights, my dad has both of them. Montana and Pedersoli, obviously the Montana's are a much better, higher quality sight, but for the money the Pedersoli mid or long range is a good deal and a heck of a lot cheaper. As far as the rifle to pick, you can take your pick. You can stick with the Rolling block, the 1874 Sharps, or even go with a trapdoor springfield (though that could pose a problem of where to mount the tang sight).

TT,

Yes, .40-65 IS a viable round, adequately powerful for silhouette (although you've got to get the ram just right at 500 meters or it won't go over), but once again, you'll likely have to make all of your own brass from .303 British or .30-40 Krag unless you can find ready-made brass, which I think is a long-shot.

If you're a member of NRA, call their Competitions department, and see what the BPCR people can send you.

If you're not an NRA member, join, and then see what they can send you. :)