Black Hills Match Ammo?

Norrick

I bought a box of 175gr HP match in .308 Winchester.

Anyone have any experience?

I got a new X-Bolt that I want to test the accuracy. There was some ammo that was like 60 dollars a box and passed. On the other hand, I didn't want to test accuracy with the cheapest they had either. I didn't realize it was moly coated until I opened it. What stood out to me the most though was the hollow points look like they were cut diagonal across the tip.

Until today I've only ever seen their ammo for handguns. So anyone who has used BHA in rifles care to share?

ndking1126

BHA has a reputation for being great ammo. Their match ammo is right up there with Federal and other big names.

One of the most accurate rifles I've shot was (surprisingly!) a Howa 1500 varminter supreme in .223 shooting Black Hills, I think 62 grains. It wasn't mine, and it's been a long time ago so I don't remember the exact grain.

Forgot to mention I've shot Black Hills out of my .223 Stevens 200 with pretty good results considering how cheap the rifle is. I shot the 68 gr hollow point, I will try their 69 grain Match as they will probably shoot a little better.

I bet you'll be happy with the ammo. If not, well each rifle likes what it likes, you'll just have to try something else.

Last edited:

timelinex

I'm not sure why anyone would ever get black hills to be honest...... federal gold can be found for 20 a box and are the gold standard for factory ammo. The 175's might have been $30+ years ago, but now many places carry them for 20.... So why would you pay 6+ dollars more for a product that is inferior in most rifles....

mikejonestkd

I'm not sure why anyone would ever get black hills to be honest.

Our local county counter snipers use Tango 51 rifles and one officer trains at our club. These rifles are guaranteed to shoot .25 MOA, and I have seen the officer shoot that well on many occasions. I saw him using BH gold with 168 gr Amax bullets and questioned him as to why they did not use Fed gold medal.

His reply said it all " We found better terminal performance with the BH ammo, the same accuracy and we purchase it for less "

Sounds like a win to me.

Last edited:

k511

I use BH match grade for my .308 and have always gotten great results. I highly reccomend them

Rimfire5

Black Hills is very good ammo, on a par with Federal Gold and it will depend upon your particular barrel / stock combo as to which shoots better.

They make both 168 and 175 grain rounds with Sierral Match Kings just like the Federal Gold Premium ammo.

But don't judge any ammo on the basis of one weight with one brand.
Your particular rifle might actually shoot either brand or even the 168 grain bullets from the same sources better.

My .308 shoots the Black Hills 168 grains slightly better than the Federal, but it shoots my hand loads with Sierra Match King 168 grain bullets even better than any factory ammo.

The 175 grain ammos don't shoot as tight groups in my .308 - about 0.1 inches larger groups on average.
They are still well under 1 MOA but they just don't shoot as tight.

Achilles11B

My experience with Black Hills has been with their 68-grain .223. My Winchester 70 (with 1:9 twist) loved it and on a good day I could just keep putting rounds through a ragged three-bullet-sized hole at 100 yards. If you're going for accuracy, they would be my first recommendation.

Norrick

Thanks guys, and to the others, my choice was based on what they had available. And all firearms and firearm related items have inflated prices in california.