Black Carbon Scouring

xrageofangelsx

I will start off this post by admitting that whatever happened, is completely my fault. I am not blaming ammo. I am not blaming the guy who owned the guns before me and I am not blaming manufacturers.

It seems that throughout the last couple of times of taking my guns out to the range and being lazy and not cleaning them, black carbon type residue has formed in many of the places. After spending a good thirty minutes of cleaning with what I have available (brass bore brushes, plenty of old rags, Hoppes #9, Rem Oil and elbow grease, I cannot get my firearms clean. Am I doing something wrong (other than not cleaning them at the get go)? Is there something else I should be using to clean my poor neglected firearms? Should I just sell my collection for pennies on the dollar to you who would treat the firearms much better (I say this, because inevitably someone will say.. sell me your guns! FOR CHEAP! Kidding, of course.)? Should I stop shooting WWB and switch to another cleaner plinking ammo? Thanks!

Blackened hands, blackened cylinders and barrel cuts. :p

gb_in_ga

CLP seems to cut through that stuff pretty quick.
For the really bad stuff on non-blued guns, I find that those lead-away cloths (the heavy yellow ones) cut through it when nothing else will.

Anyway, I find that a good shot of CLP (I like the spray) and an old toothbrush will cut through all but the most heavily encrusted gunk, and then if I moisten it with CLP and use something like a fine pick it WILL come off.

hoghunting

If you have been using jacketed bullets, the best cleaner that I have found, and the only cleaner that I now use is Wipe-Out a foaming cleaner. Just spray the foam into the barrel, let it sit, then push a couple of patches through the barrel and it's clean. No more scrubbing. The WSM cartridges do a good job of fouling a barrel and I did not enjoy scrubbing the barrel. I tried many different cleaners and Wipe-Out outperformed them all. It doesn't work on lead though.

dave0520

CLP and toothbrushes is what I use also gb. My dad has a Smith and Wesson 640 that was not cleaned from when he bought it about 13 years until last summer. The CLP and toothbrushes worked fine.