BL C(2) 204 ruger load help

Irish Lad

Looking for the load data for sierra bk 39 gr with BL C(2) for my 204 ruger. Lymans 50th doesn't have it. Nor does the sierra or hogdon sites have it. Does anyone have a sierra manual with it? Thanks

brasscollector

Nope, sierra doesn't have any 204 data. Use 40gr data from Hodgdons which is what I used. I did not get the accuracy with BLC2 or CFE223 in my rifle and ended up finding better results (accuracy and velocity) with benchmark.

Edited to add: I did get excellent results with BLC2 and 32gr vmax bullets in my 204.

ammo.crafter

The 32gr. VMax is an excellent bullet.

I reload 22.0 gr of IMR (Alliant) 4198 giving a velocity of 3909f/s and CCI small mag primers.

100 yd results out of a 22" Contender is consistently under 1/2 inch.

Ifishsum

It's not listed in my Sierra manual but the Hodgdon data sheet shows starting 28.0 gr BL-C(2) max 30.0 gr for the 40gr Vmax. I have loaded the 39gr Sierra BK using loads within this data with excellent results. I settled on 29.5gr BL-C(2) with a CCI srm primer #450, makes 0.5 MOA load consistently for me. I tried probably six other powders in the .204 and could not consistently best the BL-C(2). I did not have a chrony when I worked that up but by the book it also had the highest velocity of those tested at the time including the powders Sierra published in theirs.

Irish Lad

Thanks. I started reloading this January and this is the first bullet that I couldn't find a load for from a manual or a powder or bullet website. Is this common?

Longshot4

What is the purpose of your load. Some times we want a chosen bullet to fit and it can just be a simple reason it won't but we don't yet see why. The 204 is a fairly new round on the market. I believe it is here to stay a long time unlike many others. The rifle can be the reason you are having problems. The twist is has often been my over looked reason for poor accuracy.

Choosing the right bullet is the way to start. The shape and weight are important. Of course the use is also important. Poking consistent small hole in a target at 300 yards is not the same as dropping a ground squirrel or Yote at 400 yards. The bullet has a job and it's up to you to choose it. Those pills can be mighty expensive so do your home work on them first. After choosing a few powders. You will have what I conceder a lot of fun coming with that cartridge. After you master that round you will be ready for another challenge. Before you know it you will see how it works.

When you think you have it try a few different primers to find the one you like best.

This is a great sight to get you going. Continue to work with us. I am anticipating you sharing your progress. I wish you well.

:)

Ifishsum

Thanks. I started reloading this January and this is the first bullet that I couldn't find a load for from a manual or a powder or bullet website. Is this common?

It's not uncommon but for the most part it's safe to substitute another bullet of the same weight or lighter - as long as you are starting low and working up. Most manuals state this in the front section (usually under bullet selection). Just don't simply substitute one bullet for another in an established load (or any other component for that matter) without testing in your own rifle.

Irish Lad

Thanks for the replies. What my goal is to find the best load using benchmark, RX 10 and BL C(2) powder. For bullets V Max 32 &40 gr, Berger 35 gr and sierra 39 gr. Want to find the most accurate for my gun at 200 yds. Then shoot primarily jack rabbits. Prairie dogs are protected here in southern Utah.

Last edited: