Bit the Beretta Bullet

chewie146

Hey all,

I haven't posted in a while, but I just picked up a Beretta Cougar today in 9mm. It's used, of course, but it has the box, 2 mags, and it seems like it's in pretty good shape. I haven't shot it yet, but it was around 400 out the door. I know the Stoegers are going for 375 ish, but it's a neat gun.

oldandslow

chewie,

Beretta Cougars are a quality pistol. I have the mini-Cougar in .45 and it has over a thousand trouble free rounds. Have fun with yours.

best wishes- oldandslow

ShipWreck

VERY nice. Congrats!

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

LinuxHack3r

I too just picked up my first Beretta the other day, a 92FS, USA. "Used" but nearly new. I shot it today. Although I have only put 65 rounds through it, it became my favorite handgun I have ever shot. At what I believe was 2 yards, the first of the last 15 rounds I shot, I aimed at the center of the target, and bullseye! It was a 1" diameter red dot, and after only 50 previous rounds I felt that was quite impressive with the new gun. I hope to put an average of 200 rounds a month for a few months downrange with it.

I am also afraid Beretta thinks she can bring all her siblings with her from now on:/

LinuxHack3r

She does, and she quite often gets her way!

I have always been more interested in your military style rifles: Mosin Nagants, SKS's, AK's, AR's. I have never really found shooting handguns that enjoyable.

However, upon placing the first magazine from the 92FS downrange, I thought to myself "Wow, that was so smooth and elegant, and she shoots exactly where you point it". Now I'm looking at the Beretta website, and I also want a CZ of some sort now! Oh well, money is too small to use as a target so what else is it good for?

chewie146

Weeeellll, I took the Beretta out today, and took it back. It's not so much that the gun was a bad design, but my particular gun was a bit more worn or may have been defective. It would fail to lock back and would nose up every round I fed it through 2 magazines. It was probably a magazine issue, but I took it back to the store where I bought it, and traded it for an M&P SC 9mm. The store has a 1 week return policy on used guns, and they back that fully. Maybe down the road I'll try the cougar again. I'm intrigued by the design. For now, I have a great new little CC gun.

jimmythegeek

92fs is a sweet shooter

Rented one at the range today, Beretta 92fs a1

I am a novice, fired less than 100 rounds 9mm in my life. I put 15/15 into a 6" circle at 7m, which I was rather pleased with. Quite a few in or near the bullseye, too.

I found the grip a little fat for my hands - shooting was fine, but I couldn't release the magazine one handed.

I was pretty happy with the CZ 75b, too. I don't know how to score it, but it looks like I was about as accurate with it.

I need to build up some strength and get everything in the ring...

Oh, and my lifetime 9mm count is now 250.

Last edited:

FLYMRY

In the last 4 months I've picked up a new Beretta 92FS (Italy) and a Beretta 84FS (Italy). (It's been an insanely expensive couple months!) The 92FS I picked up as a "familiar face" from my Marine Corps days...I could not be happier with how it shoots, it is by far my favorite firearm...period.

...that is until I discovered the 92FS' baby brother, the 84FS .380 Auto. I handled it once at the store and had to have it. I didn't last a month before another couple hundred burned through my pocket and I couldn't take it anymore. So I went to pick it up and now I can't decide which one I like...er, love more! They are both so ergonomic and accurate I can't imagine ever willfully choosing another pistol.

...and yes, Beretta loves to bring the whole family along! I can wear the 84FS and pack the 92FS in my briefcase, day pack or car...doesn't seem right to leave either one at home.

Congrats on your Cougar!

DBLAction454

congrats on the new purchase...

no matter what i shoot...i still have yet to find a weapon that shoots as nice as a 92FS does in my hand other than high end 1911's....my carry gun (HK USP .45) is the nicest polymer .45 i've ever fired but that 92FS just melts in my hand :D

Marquezj16

Saw a Cougar at lgs. It felt good to handle and was going for $400. I did not purchase because I am not familiar with it. It kind of looks like the PX4. Does anyone know more about the action of a cougar? How is their reliability? Round before barrel wears out?

I own a 92FS Compact and love it. I think it wants family around, although it has distant cousins in a Beretta A3901 shotgun and T3 Lite .308 rifle. :D

Smaug

@ Chewie: With all due respect, I think you blew it. Cougars are just nicer guns than M&Ps, except for maybe carry. All you needed was a couple new mags. But I guess that shouldn't have to come out of YOUR pocket, so maybe you have a point.

@ jimmythegeek: My favorite auto now, CZ 97, has the mag release far enough forward that one would need longer thumbs than I've got to release it one handed, without changing my grip. You just have to rotate the gun a bit toward your thumb, being careful to keep it pointed down range. The Beretta 92 grip is smaller than that of the CZ 97, so this technique will work for you too.

@ Marquez: Yes, same action as the PX4. The Cougar came first, by Beretta. Then, they went to a polymer frame, called it the PX4, and sold the Cougar to Stoeger, who is still producing it with great success now. I bet Beretta even sold the tooling to Stoeger, so the only difference is that the tooling was newer when the Beretta Cougars were made. (maybe slightly tighter tolerances on the original Cougars)

@ FLYMRY: Your 92 will go back to being your favorite when the honeymoon with the 84 is over. Why? Ammo cost. If you really like the 84, get into reloading so that it isn't so crippling to shoot it. Reloads cost about $8 a box for me. They take very little lead and powder, so the hardest part is not losing too much brass when you take it to the range. It looks an awful lot like 9mm from 5' off the ground. ;)

chewie146

The main reason I didn't want to get new magazines is the fear that it wasn't the magazines. I would have been fine with new mags. But, once I did that, and it wasn't the magazines, I would have been out the new mags, plus whatever parts were necessary to fix it. I don't need another project gun. It did seem like a nice pistol, malfunctions aside. Maybe I'll go for a PX4 full size next time, or perhaps a stoeger NIB.

labhound

Beretta didn't sell the Cougar to Stoeger, Beretta owns Stoeger, manufactures the Cougar on the original Beretta machinery now in Turkey and lists the Stoeger Cougar on the Beretta International web site.

aarondhgraham

Only one problem with Beretta pistols,,,

They tend to multiply on you.

I started out with one,,,
Now I have three,,,
I want 2 more.

Aarond

David the Gnome

I wouldn't call it "biting the bullet" with a Beretta. You could certainly do a heck of a lot worse than a Beretta. Their guns may be bigger than most but heck, look at H&K or SIG, both of them make meaty pistols and they're both considered about as good as it gets. ;)

FLYMRY

How does the .45 Cougar compare to the .45 PX4 of today? I don't know much about either one, but if I get a .45 it would be nice to stick with Beretta if I can...someday...maybe...dream come true type of thing...

Eagleks

If you got a Beretta Cougar in good condition for $400 ... you got a good deal. I think the finish is better than the Stoeger version. Mine's probably 16-17 yrs old and looks like it just came out of the box, good quality gun.