Bismuth shot

Kingcreek

The folks selling the bismuth shot claim it is a truly safe-for-older-guns lead substitute.
Does anyone have any evidence to the contrary?
Does the same hold true for the Tungsten-polymer shot?
I picked some up so I can still hunt pheasants with my old sidexside and thought I'd ask before I bang.
Sorry if this has been covered before.

Big Bunny

Sir -the new bismuth shot should be OK for your older gun as long as it is nitro proofed ! Similarly for the less effective tungsten polimer softies. Steel would need a special choke/new barrel and is generally not recommemded over here due to wounding rates. Bismuth seems the way to go for waterfowl but lead +4% ANTIMONY is still my choice.

------------------
***Big Bunny***

Kingcreek

Thanks Big B,
The shotguns in question are nitro proofed.
I haven't heard anything about tungsten-poly but I am desperate to find lead substitutes for public use areas now that they require non-tox.
I'll still use good old lead loads where I can.
I primarily hunt with a 12g SxS double and a good old Browning 'Sweet 16'. Guess I'll have to start reloading my own 16s with nontox.

Long Path

Kingcreek--

Don't know what the specific laws are in your state, but here, you only need non-toxic shot for migratory waterfowl. You might check on it before you spend the big bucks...

Regards,
L.P.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Kingcreek

State and federal public use areas are going non-tox only.
I'm heading out to South Dakota tommorrow for some pheasant hunting with 2 shotguns- the one I want to hunt with, and the one I have to hunt with(in some areas)