Bipod for an ar

lee40215

Finally got a sig m400 and started looking for a bipod for the range. eBay has them all over the price range from 25.00 to 300.00 is there really that much of a difference in quality or what they do. Magpul was around the 100 range in price.

TXAZ

I like bipods.
Harris has been the standard, and you can find some very good knockoffs for $30 vs the MSRP of $109-200.
I have a Harris but like my Magpul better all around, ~$105.

44 AMP

Staff
You can go either way. I have a cheap plastic spring loaded clamp on, with a nylon carrier for a web belt. $15 some years back, probably double or more now.

Or go high quality adjustable like Harris. I have a Harris bipod, but it goes on my bolt action varmint rifles, not an AR.

FrankenMauser

Harris are good, but they're still pricing like they own the market.
Same with the chunky, ugly, plastic Magpul. They're trading on their name, not the actual product quality and usability.

I own more Caldwells than Harris now.
If weight doesn't matter, the Caldwells are fine. But if weight is an issue, I'll consider paying the premium for a Harris or similar.

T. O'Heir

E-Bay wants to take your firearms away from you.
What are you planning on doing with a bi-pod? They're not really solid enough to test loads with.
"...still pricing like..." Yep. Paid $20 years ago for the one I have. Took it off my .243 as it's too heavy and out of balance with it on. Would not pay what they want for one now. That'd be about $140 to $200 Cdn.

Chipperman

Harris are great, but they add a lot of weight. Plastic are much lighter, but not as solid.
What is more important to you-- accuracy and a a steady sight picture, or weight and mobility?

FrankenMauser

Harris are great, but they add a lot of weight.
Harris are mostly aluminum and quite light.
Calwell are mostly steel and not so light.
Magpul is about 50/50, polymer/aluminum, with some steel hardware.

You may be confusing some brands.

Arub

I have a CV Life bipod which is adequate for my shooting. Price range from $17 to just under $30 on Amazon.

FrankenMauser

I have a Harris on my M1A and it is not light in my opinion
Then I suppose you:
A) Have unreasonable expectations.
And/or, B) Bought one of the newer Harris budget line steel bipods that they started making to compete with the Caldwell steel.

Perhaps you're also forgetting about the 10 lbs you started with in the M1A.

lee40215

Since I’m going to use the bipod at the range would the steel hold up much better. Caulwell or the cheaper line of Harris

FrankenMauser

Probably equal life.
If it's just for range use and weight savings is not an issue, I would buy a Caldwell.

If you're the price comparing or bargain hunting type...
More often than not, I can find one or more models on sale or clearance at Midway. They tend to offer a lot of different colors and camo patterns, and some of them just don't sell well.

veprdude

Depends on what you're going to do with. The aluminum Harris BP are much lighter than the others. Having handled used Harris, Caldwell, unbranded BPs- a used Harris operates like a new Harris. The cheaper ones won't last as long for sure. So a used Harris or brand new junky one? Used Harris all day.