Biometric Safes - your experiences

Bellasogno

Hello TFL Folks,

I just purchased my first semi-auto pistol, and a MiniVault Biometric Safe. After programming it, it only opens sometimes, not 100% of the time. So, back to the store it goes.

Just curious what others experiences are with these Bio safes?

a1abdj

Electronic locks tend not to be as reliable as mechanical locks. The fancier the electronics become, the more unreliable they become. Combine this with low cost Chinese designs, and it's not something that I would bet my life on.

For defensive gun storage, I would suggest a box using the Simplex mechanical lock. The lock has been around forever, tends to be very reliable, and doesn't need batteries. There are a few companies that use these locks, including Fort Knox and V-Line. I really like the FAS1, as it is well built and presents the gun for a quick draw as the door opens.

Eghad

I have been looking for that FAS1 for a while...thanks! Could not remember the name. I have seen that simplex lock used at some of the military facilities I have been to.

What a1adbj says. I've heard bad things about electronic locks and how they've failed and had to be replaced with mechanical locks. BTW, a1adbj is the expert on safes here.